Family.ByName Removing Loaded Families

Good morning folks!

Have a bit of a head scratcher - was wondering if anyone had any insights for me.

I have a list of Families and I want to see if they exist in the project file. Simple -->

The problem exists when this node is discconnected, it actually deletes all the families from the project. See -->

Any reason why? I’m concerned this will become a problem down the road during certain functions. This may not actually be a problem when all is said and done, but why would this node act in this way?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Hi @ncarter

What does the error says?

The error that is presented above just tells me there is no family loaded by that name, b/c they have all been unloaded by disconnecting that node. Either in manual (run once with it connected, once with it not), or in auto.

Just deletes the Families out of my project for some reason. Scares me, slightly.

Are you running in automatic mode?

Yes, but this is reproduced in either mode. I understand the likely hood of this affecting my project is low, but low is still more than 0.

Not sure why it would unload everything it just touched?

:open_mouth: That’s not good. I am testing it now.

1 Like

@ncarter this looks like a bug. It happened from my end as well. It deletes the elements which are placed as well. However i manage to get the families from python which works well in this case.

You could report your issue here.

1 Like

Yes, please report this. I would suspect that it happens because the node treats the elements as Dynamo-owned Elements when it should be treating them as Revit-owned. If that is indeed the case, it should be an easy fix.

Thank you for your insights!

Could you share your python code? Slowly learning.

I will report this as a bug in github. Thanks again!

@ncarter Did you end up reporting this? I’m running into a similar issue here:

I was going to report this bug, but ran into this thread. I don’t want to duplicate it if you have already reported it.

P.S. the Bug doesn’t seem to replicate when using Dynamo Player on my end.

1 Like

Yes this was reported here

Hopefully fixed soon! Scares me, haha!