Family around curved surface, Perpendicular to each point

Hello all,
I’ve been trying to place families around curved surface but they are coming straight upright, whereas I want them to be perpendicular to each points. Refer image.

I cannot use face based families as I’ll have to give them angle later on.
So far things i’ve tried -

Please let me know if anyone has a solution.
Thank you.
Atharva Purohit

@atharva.purohit466SX ,

in which enviroment are you ?

i did a simple addaptive point and placing it. Family just is “Elementhost” (XYZ)

KR

Andreas

3 Likes

Hi Andreas,

Can you show me the script? I’m in project environment only.
Looks like you made a adaptive family with one point?
It is nested?

Thanks,
ap

Hi Atharva…hope all good…something perhaps;)

3 Likes

Hi Soren!
Yes all’s good, hope the same for you.
I may sound Naive but i wasn’t able to place family using this, can you show?
A simple extrusion will work.

Thank you.
ap

1 Like

@atharva.purohit466SX ,

is the family on a wall or it is in a coordinate system ? is it placed by one point or more ?

my example is just done manualy

KR

Andreas

1 Like

Hi

something ?

4 Likes

@Draxl_Andreas it can be on any surface. And points won’t be always simple grid but stacked.
You did that manually? That’s great.
How to do, what is it called? I’ll search it on youtube.

Thanks.
ap

Hi Soren, looks good.
I also tried this and it was working but my concern is since it is a facebased family, it won’t rotate to some angle, it gives error.
Your above approach of creating lines will help me, just i’m not able to find familyinstance by line node, or something similar?
it will solve by issue of later rotation as well since i’ll be able to give vector direction.

Thank you.
ap

1 Like

@atharva.purohit466SX ,

keywords are adaptive points repetive components …

KR

Andreas

2 Likes

Yeah my family is workplane based…

1 Like

Think Clockwork have a familyinstance by curve

1 Like

I do not know why all families are dropping down, though lines are getting created correctly.

It is happening using MEPover package, i’m creating pipes.
@T_Pover can it be edited to be used for line based family?
To place correctly.

Thank you.
ap

Hi Artvarva…a systemfamily cant be linebased, but if you will use pipes, then probably could work as in post#4 for use with mepover pipe by line

Hi Soren,
I’m not sure if I got you correctly.
Above using mepover package pipes are getting created using the same method and pipes are system families. Cannot the same thing be used to create line based families?
because in clockwork’s node, all families are falling down, that means not using the input lines correctly.
regards,
ap

arhh you mean the linebased family will always be insert on the level ? i would go with a workplane based family as shown, or just extrude a solid from the lines and then use familyinstance geometry from springs or synthezise

Hi Soren,
thanks for the suggestion.
But it looks like a bit complicated, I tried it.
I feel there must be a simpler solution to it. I’ll try to solve this and will update here.
Meanwhile if anyone can comeup with any, please let us know.

Thank you.
ap

1 Like

Amigo @atharva.purohit466SX buenas. for your case it may be better to use the node: Surface.NormalAtPoint like this each element will have its own normal reference to the surface, I leave you an example, i hope this helps you.

2 Likes

Buenos dias Gilberto, Muchas Gracias!
Yes I used NormalAtPoint node only.
And for placing families I used StructuralFraming.BeamByCurve and it solved my purpose.
Tak @sovitek , Danke @Draxl_Andreas , Gracias @gilberto.arechigaiba , for assisting, everyone’s input helped in it.

Putting my script snip here if someone needs it in future.

Regards,
Atharva Purohit

3 Likes