Extracting data from Sheet Set Manager (DST file)?

Are there any nodes out there that extracts data from a Sheet Set Manager? Most notably Drawing Number and Drawing Title? I’ve been looking and most things I’ve found have been either involving Civil 3D Dynamo, or exporting the Revit sheet list out.

For instance, in a project where there is a lot of Revit, and a mix of Civil 3D, and maybe even some (gasp) vanilla AutoCAD, I’d like to be able to utilize the Sheet List in Revit, as opposed to there being a gatekeeper Excel file that folks have to constantly babysit for the life of the project.

Would be fantastic to have nodes that allow you to run a script and it’ll reach into a DST file, grab Drawing Number, and Drawing title and create dummy sheets of the same number and name. Granted, it would probably have to include a pre-emptive ability to clear out all old sheets first before doing this, but that’s a hurdle I’ll jump over when I get there.

Then, this will mean that the script will only have a one stop shop (the SSM) to pull info from. As opposed to reaching into DWG files, and then every time someone creates a new file, it’ll need added to the script.

Has anyone had any success in attempting this? From all my research, it seems like there’s not much on this concept.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I believe that Adam Reilly has a package called AMR Sheet Set Manager on the package manager which might help you with this.

1 Like

I looked at that one, and looking at the nodes, it seems like it’s more geared to extracting data from Revit and placing the data INTO the Sheet Set Manager. While I’m trying to go the other way.

I still have it installed, so I’m going to continue looking at it, but I was curious if anyone else has tried this approach. And if so, how they fared.

Take a closer look at the package; no Revit involved necessarily as it’s for Dynamo for Civil 3D (well primarily anyway).

This looks extremely helpful! Thank you very much.

1 Like

I’m curious if you snipit above was generated from Dynamo w/in C3D or Revit? I’m trying to find a way to point to a .dst file from w/in Revit and extract the sheet set information but am not seeing how the AMR Sheet Set Manager is able to do this.

I think I did that in C3D, as the package accesses several AutoCAD DLLs.

It might be possible to pull open the DST directly from Revit, but I do t have time to build such a file and such a workflow.

If possible I would have the team use Dynamo for Civil 3D to extract the relevant data from the dst to a CSV and use the CSV data from within Dynamo for Revit.

If you want to see if someone can help access the dst from in Revit post a full data set in a new topic.

Thanks for the explanation. I think the process of running this from C3D will work for us but just wanted to skip a step if possible. Silver lining is this will likely be the first push towards dynamo for our Civil 3d users.

That’s way better than a silver lining. Gold at least. Maybe rhodium levels of value if you manage it well. :slight_smile: