Exporting data to Excel as strings

Hello all,

Is there a way to export excel data as strings ?
for eg: I want the number "000" to be exported to excel as "000" and not 0.

I couldnt find a better solution in this forum.Please suggest me on this.

1 Like

Can you show what you’ve tried?

Something like this … Eventhough the list is a string, it gets converted to numbers in Excel, I want them to be retained as strings.

So the question is really more excel related as the issue comes from this “setting”:

The standard option is “General” which will automatically transform strings to numbers if possible.

I do not believe it is possible in excel unless you add a “character” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok now I got it. In addition to your suggestion in the excel cell format,I also made changes to option in dynamo overwrite to false. It works fine now.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile: !

1 Like

You could try to add an ’ (Apostrophe) in front off the numbers. It works if you make it in excel, but I never tested if it works if you add it in Dynamo.

2 Likes

Yea you’re right it will only work if overwrite is set to “false” as the choice of “format” of the cell will likewise be overwritten. :slight_smile: @M.Perez did not know that little handy excel trick.

That will work as well in Dynamo to Excel, great stuff!

I will change the solution to actually be the one proposed by @M.Perez as that is way better and more robust :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This works smooth with out any problems both in dynamo and excel. Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

1 Like