Export Geometry created by Mesh.Toolkit for laser cutter

Hey there,
I’m trying to build this cute stanford bunny via a laser cutter. I’m using the package ‘mesh toolkit’ to intersect the mesh and create layers, which represent cardboard. After that I use Dynamo Studio to export a .dwg file with the node “File Writer”. It’s successful, but I need the curves seperatly. Is there any way to change the exported geometry?

Thank you in advance.

Sven

Sorry, as a new User I’m only able to post one photo :smiley:

Dynamo Studio

Exported .dwg in Autocad

Try translating each polycurve by X distance so there is no overlap between curves, and project them down to origin plane on the Z axis.

1 Like

This is for Dynamo for Revit but it may help: Export View Set To DWG

Hey,
at first, thank you for the fast response!

Translating the polycurves works very rudimentally, I’ve found no other way to pick up every single line via the node 'List.GetItemAtIndex. That seems very inefficient for me. I’m a newbie in Dynamo, so maybe there is a better workflow?

The second problem is, I’ve couldn’t project the polycurves to the original plane. Therefore I tried ‘geometry translate’ but the factor for the Z axis changes every layer…

Best regards,

Sven

@jacob.small probably thought of the Pull Onto Plane node…

1 Like

@Yna_Db @jacob.small

Problem 2 is solved :smiley: thanks a lot

@Yna_Db Sure that would work. :joy:

Instead of feeding the polycurves a single line when you translate them, feed them a list of distances by creating a range from zero (why move the first line?) to the total number of items * the distance each needs to move. Look into the List.Count node and the sequence nodes.

After that try the PULL onto plane node as @Yna_Db suggested.

2 Likes

As the boys says:

3 Likes

@jacob.small @jostein_olsen @Yna_Db

I’m excited! That’s exactly what I imagined!

There is a long way to go for me in Dynamo :smiley:

Thank you very much indeed!

Next thing I have to think about is, create a workflow to number consecutively each curve, so it’s easier to see which layer of cardboard belongs to eachother.
Is it possible to do it in Dynamo? For the moment, I didn’t have any single idea…

Yes. Can you upload your current dyn here (or another service if you don’t have file share permissions here yet) so we can all be sure we are working with the right stuff? Saves a lot of time if we don’t have to redo the previous work.

1 Like

This should at least export each one of the (poly)curves on a distinct layer:

ActiveX is from LinkDWG package

2 Likes

Of course!

That’s obvious to me. :see_no_evil:

‘Stanford Bunny’ Laser Cutter.dyn (13.8 KB)