Exploded DWG fill region types, Smart ideas?

Took a bunch of typical details from autocad and exploded them in Revit. However the hatches made themselves individual filled region and pattern types. Now I have a ton of earth hatch patterns and so on. Any smart ways in dynamo so it recognizes the pattern and changes it to one type?

I used dynamo to lay them out but there’s a billion and doesn’t really help unless i go through the list. In this day and age though? Although is there a way to maybe lay out the same pattern types together? There all model patterns but the name dosn’t relate to anything about the pattern

if you know what you are trying to replace the hatch patterns with then with then effectively its, all hatch patterns in view change type to?

Following that you can delete all other hatch patterns contained in the view from the project that are not of the replacement type?

I’m not currently in a position mock something up but i think there are a few packages and examples on the forum of changing pattern types.

Personally I would recommend importing each Derain into a new family rather than into a project. This would reduce errors in the project and make management simpler.

What’s a Derain? I’ll try into a family tomorrow but I assume Revit won’t register similar autocad hatches together

It won’t, but you can manage them in the context of your hatch library (assuming you’ve put that into your detail family template) and then purge unused to make the bad things go away.

I have no idea what a Derain is, was trying to type detail quickly on my phone and somehow that came out… :laughing:

1 Like

I put it into a scrap project to clean before the masterfile. Also tried to clean as many layers and lines to standard in autocad. This pattern and filled region things a bummer tho

Management of content always sucks when you attempt it via ‘import and walk away’. Any time you attempt to integrate data from an external source you need to sanitize and format it before you start production. This is just one such instance.

It may be easier to extract the polycurves which make up the hatch to an intermediate file setting the layer of each polycurve to a layer named after a hatch pattern already in your RVT template. From there you can automate creating the filled regions as native Revit elements via Dynamo.

1 Like

I wonder. Since most of them are model patterns. If I can extract the geometry to dynamo after placed. Overlay it on each other and use the node that shows the difference intersection (never remember them off the top of my head) . If none its the same… Although might have to give the line work solid extrusions. Could be alot of processing. Also need to workout how to cross check them against each other. Should be a fun tsks tomorrow.

Anyone know if I can extract model pattern lines from a filled region?

Yes - you can retrieve references to them which can eventually be converted to geoemtry… I do t recommend it though as it’s quite slow and time consuming.

do you know how to get the references? Maybe I can just use that to see if its the same as others. I can only see this node though for model elements.

I have only accessed via API calls in Python. And it’s a slog. C# would be better if you’re up for it.

The Genius Loci code shows some of how to start going about it, but again, it’s more than just that.

Is there something quick to call. Even like the pattern layout I can equal against to see if it’s the same? :thinking: Been looking at Locis node but it’s tricky :sweat_smile:

Soooooo maybe this!

Who awakes me from my slumber?
th-288935362

Also… Do not explode CAD in a Revit project. It’s bad. :no_mouth:

I’d undo what you’ve done and make Revit families instead.

2 Likes

Days just getting started here! I agree with not exploding but when you have 50 typical details from autocad. I’m not gonna redraw em. Got most of the line work sorted before in autocad (object style name) and keeping 2d trees as blocks in Revit is better then Revit detail items. Just these bloody filled regions from autocad Revit duplicates. But I… No WE will conquer them with dynamo :grin::grin::grin::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Why not stick them into Revit families?
Then you have a nice detail library forever more.

You could probably do this faster than Dynamoing…

It’s bank holiday here (public holiday)… whooo :smiley:
But sadly, it’s evening so work is getting nearer. :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Stick a whole detail in a detail item family? :thinking: I’m listening. How come? The drafting view library I’m making in the master file means they can copy across from it and put on sheets. Also makes its easier to manipulate if needed. Getting them to a state that’s manpulatable and done right for all the people learning is the trick.

Must dynamo everything. Must keep work interesting :grin:

This is the way I’d go… or rather the way I would advise the person in charge of details at a firm if any size were to ask me how to manage this today.

Might be different strategies. This is landscape detailing building systems for them. But alas if you have any info for the way I’m going would be appreciated!