Excel.ReadFromFile operation failed

@Mattia_Berto did you try similar node from BumbleBee package?

Yeah that node works but I simply wanted to fix the builtin node issue. Currently I’m using the read from csv node. Thanks anyway

http://kb.palisade.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=528

Close Excel and Project.

Click Start » Run, type REGEDIT and click OK.

{00020813-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} Key for Excel

Click on Computer at the top of the left-hand panel, then press Ctrl+F to bring up the search window. Paste this string, including the curly braces {…}, into the search window:
{00020813-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
Check (tick) the Keys box and Match whole string only; clear Values and Data.

Click the + sign at the left of {00020813-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} to expand it. You will see one or more subkeys:

1.5 for Excel 2003.
1.6 for Excel 2007.
1.7 for Excel 2010.
1.8 for Excel 2013.
1.9 for Excel 2016.
Identify the one(s) that do not match the version(s) of Excel you actually have installed. If all of them do match installed Excel versions, omit steps 5 and 6.

You are about to delete the key(s) that correspond to versions of Microsoft Excel that you do not have. For safety’s sake, you may want to back them up first. Right-click on {00020813-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}, select Export, and save the file where you’ll be able to find it.

Right-click the 1.something key that does not belong, select Delete, and confirm the deletion. Repeat for each 1.something key that does not belong.

The {00020813-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} key can occur in more places. Usually they all have the same subkeys, but not always, so you need to examine each instance. Tap the F3 key to get to each of the others in turn. For each one, repeat steps 4 through 6 (click the + sign, export the key to a new file, and delete the orphaned 1.something entries).

{2DF8D04C-5BFA-101B-BDE5-00AA0044DE52} Key for Office

Click on Computer at the top of the left-hand panel, then press Ctrl+F to bring up the search window. Paste this string, including the curly braces {…}, into the search window:
{2DF8D04C-5BFA-101B-BDE5-00AA0044DE52}
Check (tick) the Keys box and Match whole string only; clear Values and Data.

Click the + sign to expand the key. You will see one or more subkeys:

2.3 for Office 2003.
2.4 for Office 2007.
2.5 for Office 2010.
2.6 and 2.7 for Office 2013. (2.6 and 2.7 are okay for Office 2016 as well, if there is a reference to Office16 under 2.7.)
2.8 for Office 2016.
Identify the one(s) that do not match the version(s) of Office you actually have installed. If all of them do match installed Office versions, omit steps 10 and 11.

You are about to delete the key(s) that correspond to versions of Microsoft Office that you do not have. For safety’s sake, you may want to back them up first. Right-click on {2DF8D04C-5BFA-101B-BDE5-00AA0044DE52}, select Export, and save the file where you’ll be able to find it. (Choose a different name for this file, such as Key2.)

Right-click the 2.something key that does not belong, select Delete, and confirm the deletion. Repeat for each 2.something key that does not belong.

The {2DF8D04C-5BFA-101B-BDE5-00AA0044DE52} key can occur in more places. Usually they all have the same subkeys, but not always, so you need to examine each instance. Tap the F3 key to get to each of the others in turn. For each one, repeat steps 9 through 11 (click the + sign, export the key to a new file, and delete the orphaned 2.something entries).

Close the Registry Editor.

If you run @RISK with Microsoft Project, p

1 Like

As many others, I have also repaired, reinstalled and edit options for Excel and Office over and over - and finally, this worked.
I however did not have the priviliges to delete the 1.8 folder, so make sure to run regedit as administrator, if you have the same problem.

2 Likes

I was facing same issue & resolved by reinstalling MS Office.

I found a workaround to solve this:

1. go to: https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel/14.0.0.1
    and download the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel version 14.0.0.1

2. Rename the downloaded file from .nupkg to .zip and extract the content of this zip file

3. Inside the extracted folder go to lib/net20 and copy the “Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll” and paste it inside Revit Directory in Program Files=> C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit [VERSION]

4. Restart Revit and Dynamo and check if it works now

If it doesn’t work, I suggest pasting it inside the Dynamo Folder too
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit [VERSION]\AddIns\DynamoForRevit

Hate to bring up an old thread but I’m in the same boat!

I have tried what @Mahmoud_Sherif and @111183 have suggested but neither solution worked for me.

I have a graph I have tried on Dynamo for Revit 2.12 (Revit 2022.1.3) and also Dynamo for Revit 2.13 (Revit 2023) both gave me the Excel not installed error.

Revit_evy5qOA0c7

I do have excel installed on my local machine, however, it is now part of the “Microsoft 365 app” not “Office, or Office 365” so not sure if that is part of the problem.

below is the graph I was running when I got the error

This graph did work on this same machine a few months back, but that was with Revit 2021.1 and that version of Dynamo, don’t remember the number. But I no longer have access to that version of Revit (or Dynamo). Office has been upgraded to “Microsoft 365 App” since that time.

sigh

Excel’s COM interop is broken pretty much any time they do an update now, and there is no end in sight. My advice (and too frequently the first discussion I have with customers in the projects I undertake with customers for the day job) is to move past Excel. CSV will do data formatting just fine, and other formats such as JSON allow storing even more data for interop with better results…

But I get that’s not always possible. In these cases I recommend migrating to the OpenXML excel nodes which were added sometime around 2.10. These basically say “who needs excel” and allow reading and writing to the xlsx format directly by utilizing the OLE objects directly.

When that isn’t possible, you may need to try the online repair tool and edit the registry as noted above and this article. However that may not resolve things if Microsoft has moved stuff around too much, or if the 365 app is really just a path to their online cloud service for Excel (you can verify this by trying to use the tool while offline).

If it’s the cloud situation or that the installation paths are that different… I’m actually at a loss. Might be worth reviewing the data set in a separate thread should that prove to be the point.

1 Like

Hey, @jacob.small thanks for the feedback and possible solutions.

I checked and my version of excel from Microsoft 365 is available offline, so I tried the suggestions in this article. Sadly the repair didn’t work and still the same outcome.

I then turned to the OpenXML nodes and they worked just fine, so I will update my graphs going forward with the node set!

Thanks again

Carl

2 Likes