Excavation Calculation method working with Revit Topo but not with linked topo, please help

Hello guys, I’m trying to get the cut volume on a given terrain. I’m importing the floor category, taking it surfaces, thickening it to have one solid that I’ll intersect later with the topo surface of the terrain to get two different solids that I can calculate later their volume. the problem here, that my method is working when I use Revit topo as shown in the second screenshot, but when I work with linked topo(from Civil3D - BIM360) it fails. Maybe I’m missing one more transformation or something I’m not aware of. Thank you for your valuable help.

What is the result of the topography.mesh node?

Hi Jacob, The same for both, a mesh

Can you expand the preview?

It’s a silly question but are you sure the failing solid in question would be split by the topo? Depending on how your model is set up they may have different internal origins which may result in disconnected geometry. Disable the 3D preview of the topo and use a GeometryColor.bygeometrycolor node you apply a translucent color to the polysurface - if things line up right you will see the floor solid through the new shape.

Here are the expended previews Jacob. I’m not sure about your question and the geometrycolor node, but i want to point that i have imported the geolocation of my linked topographie on the model. That mean that my Revit model is on survey project coordinate, could this affect anything? Thank you for your help.

This is expend view of the linked Topo and Floor solid :

This is how it looks under topo, the Floor solid and the topo intersect perfectly :

This is the Simple Revit topo where the intersection work :

Revit tracks all location data for every file off of the internal origin of the file - anything reporting another number is just added math. Therefore it is possible to have your content from a link show up at an incorrect elevation, which would prevent the slicing. Certainly not the case here per your 2nd screenshot…

What is the geometry scaling? If anything other than medium set it back to medium and see if that resolves it.

It was on medium default, I just tryed to put it to large just to see if it works, and everything crashed lol. I’m trying to open back my dynamo and let you know if on large model scaling it works or not.

Yep, i’m not able to put it on large scale, it crashed again :confused:

Hmmm… I am running out of ideas… can you share the model in question?

Appreciate your time Jacob thank you. The Dynamo or the Revit? cuz it could maybe bit difficult for me to share those, cuz I’m working in company Revit Template and Dynamo Project, and there we have confidential families and nodes, if you don’t mind and have some spare time, we can have zoom meeting or something and I can share my screen with you and give you control if you wanna check it out. I’m really ashamed to ask for help and say this, but if it was a personal project I would share it with no problem. Really sorry, feel stupid saying that… Hope you understand.

No worries - not sure I will have time for a zoom call this week. I’ll check with my colleagues to see if I can get a similar data set to what you described (or perhaps just build one on my own - a linked topo and a floor, right?)

1 Like

Thank you for your understanding. Yes, a linked topo from BIM360 (made on Civil3D) and any Floor geometry. In my case, I choose a little bit of complex Floor geometry to see how far my script could go, and, the floor in my case is a Sea Water reservoir Slab if wondering. I hope that it’s not a scaling problem, because, I’m not able to set my Dynamo model scaling to large, the model crashes entirely. And again, much thanks for your valuable time and help Jacob.