Error Creating Longitude Rebars Using Rebar.FromCurves

Hi all,
I am trying to create longitude rebar in a column from to lines that I created.
For some reason I am getting an error and I don’t understand why. This is the error:
“Warning: An internal error has occurred.”
Any ideas why this would happen and how can I fix it?

Hi @zvith ,

Have you tried setting the “curves” input to list level 1? (Then you also won’t need the list.chop).

PS: It would be a lot easier to help you with this if you can supply some sample files and your dynamo script.

I tried feeding in the list at first level so I then tried to chop it and that is the result.
Attached is the script I created.
Create Longitude Rebars - Column.dyn (63.8 KB)

Could you also share a sample revit file?

It’s just a selection of a column that is connected to a floor and a ceiling…

You have a problem with the vector input. Change it to Y axis and it will work.

2 Likes

Thanks for the solution Omar. It does solve this particular issue but do you know of a more parametric solution? You know for lets say in case I feed in a slanted column?
I was just experimenting I found that the length of the lines of the element are off at a very small degree - can this be the reason why the vector of the line extracted from the element’s corner lines isn’t good?

As per API: The vector you insert is normal to the plane that the rebar curves lie on.

This does not affect the curve of the rebar. It just specifies the direction in which it goes when you change the rebar layout.
For example, when you create single rebar with the y-axis vector and then change the layout from single to fixed numbers, the new rebars created due to the change in the layout will be created in the y-axis.

This is what I understand from my experience.

So, if you want to make it parametric, try getting the normal vector to the rebar curves… Use node Curve.Normal

Regarding the small reduction in the curve length, I face this a lot and use a round node to overcome it. It is a common problem when dealing with geometries.

What I did was extract the corner points the column and connected a line from bottom to top and got the vector of that line and for some reason it isn’t working. Do you know another way of getting the normal in the direction of a column? Keep in mind that I would like it to be parametric and relevant to the direction of the column as for a case where that column would be slanted.
I would add the revit file but it is too big…

add a pic of the new dynamo script

It’s the same dynamo script. I thought maybe if someone could use the project file I am using it would be easier to find a solution.

@zvith

Hi,

Use the normal vector of the line.

Regards,

Solution found!
I got the normal through the function Surface.NormalAtParameter.

I would still like to hear from anyone why the previous method didn’t work since it should have create a proper normal as well (imo)…

I used Vector.ByLine taking the normal of the line created by the points of the top and bottom of the column.