Elements out in excel, and back

Hey.
I want something simple. :grin: And then you know it’s never simple. :smiley:

I want all revit elements sorted out in excel with category, family and type. Like this:
In the end, i want to be able to push data back in Revit, based on the category, family and type, but for now, i’l focus on getting the data out. :slight_smile:

I started with getting all the categories, and then all element of categories.

But, first of all, i’m stuck on how i should proceed from here.
And second, is there and easier way to get my result?

Hope some can help me a bit. :slight_smile:

Thanks
Nichlas

Hi Nichlas,

When you do an operation like this, it’s important that you export an identifier with your data. This identifier is used to easier push the modified data into the right elements in Revit. You don’t have to worry about list sorting when you have an identifier.
I usually use the element types unique ID, also known as the GUID/Global unique identifier, when i need to classify/identify elements, which I’m guessing is what you want to do.

Here’s an example of how you can do it:

Excel:

When you’re done filling out the blanks in Excel, next step will be to get the data back into Revit. For this you can use the OOTB ImportExcel node to get you started.

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks about the identifier. :slight_smile:
Can you do the same on windows, if you take those in your example.

It will work for all elements that have a type:

You can implement more sorting before the export by using the various sortin nodes like GroupByKey or you can do the sorting in Excel, as long as you don’t alter the rows.

Thanks!! :+1::+1::+1:

No probs :slight_smile:

Is there a specific reason why are you using the GUID instead of the Revit ID? GUID is certain to be more unique, but you can actually see and select elements based on the Revit ID. Wouldn’t that work as well?

It’s probably because the Revit ID, chances over time, the GUID doesn’t change. :slight_smile:

Hi Ben,

99% of cases you’d be OK using the ElementId when performing an operation like this.
It’s just a personal preference I guess :slight_smile:

See this post by @Jeremy_Tammik if you want to know more about the difference between the two.

2 Likes