Element ID when element is splitted

Hi all,

I have a question and I need your advice on that.

In a Revit model, when an element, which has several attributes attached to it, is splitted, Revit will not keep those attributes for the new splitted parts. I need to have one element ID or one unique kind of ID for all the splitted elements. Do you have any suggestion for any work flow in this regard? We have tons of different elements in our Revit models and we need to split them at several points, but we need to have unique ID for all the splitted parts of each element. For exp, we have walls, pipes, ducts and … to be splitted. When a pipe is splitted, I want to have the first element ID of that pipe assigned to all the segments, when a wall is splitted, I need to have the first element ID of that wall assigned to all the segments of that wall. I hope that I could explain this issue clearly.

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Does it help if you make a new parameter ‘Original GUID’ and use Dynamo to set it for all the split pipes from the original?

Hope that helps,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for reaching out. But how dynamo can understand to assign which ID to which segment? Imagine that I have two long pipes (pipe A and pipe B), and I want to split each of them into three segments. Pipes A and B have unique element IDs before they got splitted.
Pipe A element ID: 1234
Pipe B element ID: 5678
Now, Pipe A and Pipe B are splitted into three parts, and I have three new element IDs for pipe A segments and three new IDs for pipe B segments. What I want is to have 1234 assigned to all segments of pipe A and 5678 to all segments of pipe B. For Exp, creating a new parameter and dynamo reads the element ID and then assign this data to the segmented parts, but it the script should define which ID should be assigned to which splitted element

Last time I checked when you split a pipe (or wall, column, etc.) you don’t actually create two new elements, but reposition the original element from the previous start to the split point, and make a new element from the split point to the previous endpoint. The first item’s element ID should stay the same excepting normal element changes, while the second element will have a new element ID. GUIDs will stay the same in all cases as GUID is intentionally stable.

1 Like

I find it more complicated to explain without pictures :slight_smile:

I think the flow of data helps you here?

As noted, you’ll want each ID to act on an entire list of IDs, so you might have to play wiht your list structure… I’m not exactly sure how the node behaves. I’d setup a simple test file first…

Hope that helps,

Mark

1 Like

Thanks, Jacob for your comment. You are 100% right about the element ID creation in Revit when an element is splitted. But regarding GUID I think the case is similar to Element ID, a new GUID is generated

Thanks Mark for your help, I will try to implement this workflow to see if it works and let you know if I have questions

1 Like