Element Binding causing problems

As per that other post:

Open the .dyn in a text editor. Find the section dedicated to bindings. Delete the stuff in that part of the json file. Save the file with an appended name (incase you deleted too much), and then open it in Dynamo Player. Previously created content shouldn’t be removed.

When you wrote the graph that made the levels, and then the views, did you hit undo in Revit after each run of the graph? Or did you wind up with multiple copies of the levels at the same location?

If the answer to both of those is ‘no’ then you used Element Binding and you didn’t even know it. The feature which puts the data into the file for future use is the same feature which keeps you from getting duplicate element creation on each run. They are two sides of the same coin in this way. The end users leveraging Dynamo Player are the only ones who truely don’t need it, but they aren’t able to update previously created elements, so they are missing out there.

For AU I’m proposing an element binding presentation (one of five I’m considering) to go over this stuff in detail. If it gets accepted and developed I’ll be sure to post on it.

1 Like