Dynamo with non-autodesk products

Newbie here. Has anyone seen Dynamo used with non-Autodesk products? Given that’s an open source project I assume there’s nothing in the way of this. I guess my main question in that connection is what is the output of Dynamo? I’ve just has a look at a dyn file but can’t see any indication of what the output is. Is it design script?

Given that the state of Dynamo is so advanced and has strong backing both commercial and community based it just seems like a good idea to me for other design packages. OpenCascade and OpenSCAD come to mind, and FreeCAD.

Added based on comments:

Plenty of examples of people connecting to other platforms around, but the platform has to have an API that can be easily accessed. Then dynamo must be integrated as an add-in (like Revit, Alias), or the API needs to be accessible by 3rd party tools (like Robot, Navisworks).

That sounds great - I’m learning more already. Can someone give me an example or two of things outside the factory? I haven’t any luck finding anything outside the Autodesk’s sphere of influence. The term dynamo is used for a lot of different things on the internet …

DynaMaya is a good example even though it does sit on top of ADSK software it was not written by ADSK.

Here is an example: Structures to Sofistik Structural Analysis

Pretty sure @Jonathan.Olesen has a good example too but I can’t recall the name of the product he interfaces with.

That’ll be Robot :wink: I know of a few projects working with FEM-Design as well :slight_smile:

Automation of Robustness Analyses (ARA) by the use of Dynamo, Revit & FEM-Design

2 Likes

@Jonathan.Olesen do you know of any FEM projects outside ADSK with a direct connection to Dynamo?

Have a look at the Orchid package, it has direct integration to FEM Design and Sigma

1 Like