Dynamo Surfaces in Revit - Changing Appearance

Hey there! I have this simple script that I’m using to turn filled regions into extruded surfaces. Works great and it’s pretty simple with limited inputs. Where I’m hung up: The output in revit is all orange and transparent. I was really hoping to turn this into a solid grey appearance so we can visualize what a building will look like if it’s just extruded. Is there a way to change the appearance of the dynamo extruded surfaces?

As a bonus point and completely different question, I was trying to figure out a way to include all filled regions with one input. Currently, you can see on the left side that I’m requiring the user to input what filled regions they want to extrude. Ideally, this script would just grab all filled regions instead of relying on user input.

Thank you for your help!

Fill-Regions-To-Extruded-Surface.dyn (36.9 KB)

Are you actually “baking” the geometry to Revit? In the graph you’ve shown you only create the Dynamo geometry. You still need to import it to Revit. Depending on how you import the geometry to Revit it may be created with an import material that you can modify at the project level.

As for automatically collecting your filled regions, your current setup is pretty god in my opinion. Unless you’re positive that this will only be ran in a project with all filled regions for extrusion, it may be best to have a selection. However if you want to do all types all the time you should be able to use Categories + All Elements Of Category or Element Types + All Elements Of Element Type.

I didn’t bake it in and I kind of like how it has the ability to be changed without adding the step of deleting the previous elements. It might help if I tell you a little context:

In the beginning stages of the project we come up with a bunch of schematics and plan proposals. The guy in my firm that does the planning really likes using filled regions to depict his plans because of their simplicity and agility (and he’s been doing it for 10+ years). The issue is, we can’t do much with filled regions in terms of modeling. So I was just trying a simple dynamo script to improve our visualization in 3D.

I was thinking the solution for changing the appearance would be a simple vis/graphics override or a node that alters the appearance like an rgb editor or something.

and for the bonus point, thank you! I’m getting started with dynamo and I’m just missing some pieces of the node vocab but improving!

Unfortunately you won’t have control of anything in Revit until the elements actually exist in Revit. You could however do what you’re suggesting in Dynamo and modify the visibility there.

They’ll be using these to produce some graphics for the client. I’ll probably have to print them into revit by using walls or general massing boxes.

Thank you for your help!