Dynamo Script for Batch Automation of a Revit command

Hello everyone. I’m a Dynamo newbie. First post in here.

I have decided to dabble with Dynamo in order to overcome an issue I am having where I would like to batch apply a command to a folder of revit family files (rfa).

So in summary I need the script to do the following:

1. Open file from the assigned folder.
  2. Apply command
  3. Close (there is no need to save the file as running the command will automatically save it)
  4. Wait 5 seconds (this is probably an odd requirement buts its necessary due to a limitation of the software)
  5. Repeat steps 1-4 on all files in directory

Would this be a hard thing to do as a first stab at Dynamo? Any guidance would be appreciated. Especially any sample scripts that are setup to do something similar which i could piggy back off.

Thanks!

Look into Dynamo for Automation as the ‘stable’ way. Dynamo isn’t built for reliably processing contents in the background and as such I have seen a lot of issues here.

The Orchid package has the largest repository of useful content for background manipulation if you decide to go that route.

All of this assumes that your ‘command’ is accessible via the API, but since we don’t know what that is we can’t say.

Curious to know which software you’re referring to with the ‘wait’ portion of the graph. There shouldn’t be a reason on the Revit side of things.

Curious to know which software you’re referring to with the ‘wait’ portion of the graph. There shouldn’t be a reason on the Revit side of things.

Hi, I am trying to run an addin that has a limit of 5 seconds to the frequency that you can run it.

As I mentioned. I have never used Dynamo before so I am quite illiterate regarding the terminology (i.e The Orchid Package)

:man_facepalming:t2:

In your opinion is what i’m trying to do, too much to bite off for a first time user?

Maybe, but closer to likely if you don’t set a foundation first… that said it depends on your start points, capability to apply the work of others, and knowledge of the task at hand.

Does your add-in have a good way of executing programmatically? If not (which is almost certainly the case), what does it actually do and how likely is it you can find matching functions to replace the need for the add-in? If there is no easy API call which has no UI involved, or if the tasks it performs are too difficult to replicate then this likely is going to be too much for a first task.