Dynamo player folder structure

Hi,

Does anybody know if it’s possible within Dynamo Player to select a main folder and have the player be able to read a folder structure within that main folder? My coworkers and I would like to be able to group our scripts in subfolders and not have them all in 1 big folder, but then you have to change the path every time.
Is this something more people want to see? Does anybody know if it’s in development?
Thankyou!

Hello,

We work with PLAYER for severial topics!
All workers are linked to the same package-folder!

KR

Andreas

Hey Andreas,

I see your image with multiple folders, how does that look from the Player within Revit if you select 03_scripts as the filepath? As far as I know, right now you cannot see the subfolders in yellow/red from within Player. I would like for those folders to be visible and to click on them, not change the filepath every time.

I have seen others build a graph which sets the player’s folder location that utilizes a datashapes UI++ interface for selecting the path from a list of pre-compiles options. If a user wants to change their player directory they just run the first graph in the list and it will take them there.

1 Like

we divided by topics f.e. clean up model befor datadrop:

This is what I did, but to be honest, no one uses it. It is the best option currently available but it has one minor (but annoying) downside: You can only modify the default directory, which means you have to close and reopen Dynamo Player for the change to take affect. Most of my users who pull from multiple directories have no problem manually switching back and forth once I’ve shown them how.

3 Likes

How about using Orkestra?

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the input. I will definitely check out Orkestra, didn’t know about this yet!
It looks very promising.

1 Like

That sounds great, but I have no idea what a list of “pre-compiles options” means. How does this work?

Essentially I would like to have a root directory, whcih allows the user to select sub-directories of scripts. Then I would create a script within each sub-directory to navigate back to the main directory.

That’s exactly what it means. Defining a list of available folders/directories to swap to.

1 Like

Note that in revit 2023 they rehauled dynamo player and it supports multifolder from a dropdown at the top.

I recommend before then use keywords in your script name to cluster them visually in one folder, then encourage usere to utilize the search tool to filter down.

2 Likes

Yes, I understood that! But how to implement it; clueless…

When I understand this correctly, you are able to define which folder the dynamo folder should point to.
I don’t understand how that works.

Already have a pretty good naming convention for scripts.
Also use search function all the time…also everywhere in the Revit environment.

Nice to know about 2023…unfortunately we will likely not implement 2023 for another 3-4 months.

I know the feeling. Still have some projects reluctantly stuck back in Revit 2017 (not feasible to upgrade a 2GB model unfortunately). The update cycle is merciless.

It’s been a long time since I looked into this. It only lasted a few months for us I think because it was just easier to teach people how to browse to the correct directory. Here’s what I remember:

There are settings within each of the %LocalAppData%\dynamoplayer\User data\dynamoplayerinstance 1\Default folders that determine the default location when opening Player. I believe this information lives in two places. 1) The Preferences file in the root folder or 2) the cached files in the Local Storage folder.

The idea is to write a script that replaces or modifies those files on the fly. Modifying the Preferences file is probably the more “correct” method as it specifies a filepath, however the cached files are easier because they can just be replaced.

2 Likes