Dynamo gets stuck often and needs a restart

When working for a long time with dynamo or even revit project without dynamo open. When I try to run dynamo scripts at least few times a day dynamo just says “Run started…” and I can still freely move around revit and dynamo as oppose to when a script is running when everything is frozen until the script finishes. If I don’t restart revit the dynamo will remain stuck falsely executing a node tree forever. Restarting just dynamo doesn’t fix it. Revit also needs a restart. This happens across projects and scripts. Any idea why? Or should this be reported as an issue?

1 Like

Sounds like there is a UI change which has to finish updating, perhaps due to switching documents or opening things in the background. Minimize the Revit window to the task bar and restore it and see if that clears things up.

2 Likes

Will try next time it happens

1 Like

It doesn’t work. As seen here I can freely move and interact with graph while it’s stuck in infinite execution. It is the same on manual mode. Tried minimizing it, didn’t change.

Is there an open transaction in Revit?

Have you made sure your Revit is fully up to date and there are no add-in conflicts?

Nothing open in revit. Revit up to date at 2023 23.1.20.70. Not sure how to check add-in conflicts.

You need to have a file open to get Revit to launch… or was this in relation to the active transaction? Note that some situations can cause Revit to initiate a transaction without direct user action (add-ins and shortcuts being common instances).

This would be indicated in the Revit journal, but the easy way to check is to disable ALL add-ins, restart the CPU, launch Revit, and attempt to reproduce. If you do manage to get the issue to reproduce, grab the Revit journal and Dynamo log. Attach those here and I can have a look.

Caught it. Here’s latest logs

Revit journal:

Dynamo log:

Cannot replicate on command. It just sometimes happens after dynamo has been open for a while

Revit journal is incomplete - it didn’t finish the start up. Can you post the file directly to the forum?

Seams that I uploaded .worker1 file instead of the log.
The file cannot be pasted or uploaded here since it’s ~10MB.
I’ve uploaded it to dropbox here:

If there are security concerns please point to where I should upload or paste text to.

Looks to be complete now. I’ll review later. Any idea about what time the lockup occurred?

Probably happened near the end since after posting I restarted revit to fix the issue

Have a few things to pull at on the Revit side… can you confirm the Dynamo log was complete?

Usually we see a sign off but the pastebin for the Dynamo log stops early, but the Revit journal is complete.

Hi @1bitBoolean ,

Even though Jacob already addressed it, pressing ESC a couple of times in Revit after executing the script makes sure that you haven’t accidently opened any environment in Revit which Dynamo is waiting for.

A Dynamo script won’t run if you’re, for example, in a Beam Editor environment.

I am seeing some issues around element casts failing, which could cause some instability. That said it was a 5+ hour Revit session, and Revit itself doesn’t often like much more than 4 hours of functional use at a clip when you do heavy production work, which I would qualify this as (based on the number of actions). I’ll keep looking later (ideally with confirmation that the Dynamo log was complete).

Can confirm that dynamo log is complete. All my dynamo logs are very short, can reach the end with single scroll of my mouse wheel. Just went through few random ones to make sure.

Doesn’t work, sometimes when it occurs I continue working and I spam esc a lot while working. And I then check back later and it’s always still bugged.

We can confirm your environment is broken then.

All Dynamo logs should end with the line “Goodbye” after closing out extensions… Yours just stops after saving a backup file. Perhaps an infosec issue?