Dynamo crashes upon package installation / Revit 2020

Hi all!
Dynamo crashes with me everytime I try installing a package, and as a result causes Revit to crash too.

Below is a screeenshot of the crash with the error logging:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Dynamo.PackageManager.PackageManagerSearchViewModel.<>c.b__84_3(Tuple2 x) at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable1 source, Func`2 predicate)
at Dynamo.PackageManager.PackageManagerSearchViewModel.PackageOnExecuted(PackageManagerSearchElement element, PackageVersion version, String downloadPath)
at Dynamo.PackageManager.ViewModels.PackageManagerSearchElementViewModel.OnRequestDownload(PackageVersion version, Boolean downloadToCustomPath)
at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Archilab has special versions depending on your revit build. 2020 is quite old now, but check the package description for the version to use.

Hi Gavin!

The error occurs with any custom package I try to add to Dynamo.

Hrm strange. Maybe disable all addins using diroots addin manager and see if that helps.

I have Diroots installed, but can’t manage to find the button of Addinmanager ?

Just disable all Revit add-ins. How isn’t as important as getting it done; that said I don’t think this is add-in related.

It feels like this is due to a conflict with an existing package. Try to disable all your Dynamo packages and then install them anew. Note that Revit 2020 hasn’t been supported for a full year now so you’re going to be fighting version issues for a long time to come. If you can get into a supported build dynamo will be more functional (plus you won’t have to worry about using a software which has not been reviewed for security vulnerabilities or issues for 13+ months).

1 Like

I know that 2020 is already ancient, however the specific users group who will be utilizing the script I’m currently honing are asked to deliver the model in 2020.

Ok, so do you think that the package manager wil be sufficient to get the job done or should I manually intervene by deleting the packages folders ?

If you only load packages from the default directory I would just close Revir and rename your \packages folder to \packages_Archive. Then start loading from scratch.

ok wow that’s a slick trick honestly :grinning:

I am working with eight companies at the moment and have “\packages_” + (1…16) for Dynamo for Revit 2.16… helps to reconfigure the environments to match their setup this way.

1 Like