Dynamo 3.0.3 Release

I would like to see a toolbar with favorite nodes or frequently used nodes. It takes too much time to type in all those nodes I use so much. It’s ironic to me that most of Dynamo is made to automize our work, yet Dynamo itself is complete manual labor.
Not to mention the bug in Dynamo where it has a delayed search of nodes, especially when working remotely.

Filter by boolmask… is basically in every script for example.
And where is a replace node button? Sure I can Shift+drag connectors, but still

4 Likes

I like that idea, starring/favourite nodes into a view extension, or even giving them stronger priority in the search tools?

2 Likes

No i want a toolbar. Dynamo is a very horizontal kind of UI. Since it’s integrated into Revit and alike, which also have toolbars, why not have them there?

Things like the library are view extensions. I think that a view extension triggering a dockable pallet would work like a toolbar. And the benefit to doing it that way is that it could be written in such a way as to get it into older builds as well (I.E. if it comes out for 3.3 it could be added to 3.0 and 3.1).

2 Likes

I think Dynamo’s UI is too 2 dimensional.

Just like Revit we have:

Now we can have several functions in it, such as Modify tab holds:

Math tab etc might do things too.

Dynamo’s learning curve to me consists of several stages:
-nodes and connectors
-lacing
-code blocks
-vocabulary
-packages
-custom nodes
-design script
-programming languages

The vocabulary is a BIG hurdle in Dynamo right now for people to learn how to use scripts. Because you have to know it completely by memory to remember: List.Flatten

Or my personal favorite Element.Type doing something completely different than Elementtype (depending on packages, true)

My point is, you can be all busy with depricating packages etc. But why is expansion of the userbase not a priority? A friendlier UI will cut the learning curve significantly. Being able to build templates allows me to not having to load other scripts to remember which node I used.

Oh and of course hotkeys for favorite nodes connected to the buttons was implied (LF for List.Flatten etc)