Dots Gradient in curtain walls

Hello everyone!
I’m trying to create a dot pattern on the face of a curtain wall panel. The idea is to generate a gradient of opacity from the top to the bottom of the curtain wall by decreasing the radius of the dots as they go down and, at the same time, parameterizing the number of dots in relation to the dimensions of the corresponding panel. So far, I’ve only managed to generate the detection of the midpoint of the different panels, but when it comes to generating the pattern and the gradient, I haven’t been able to develop it as I would like… Has anyone had a similar situation?
Here is a reference image of what I’ve achieved so far and an image of what I’m looking!

Regards,

1 Like

@NNS93 ,

use pyRevit MakePatternButton
2024-03-19_11h30_40
2024-03-19_11h30_21
2024-03-19_11h26_46
2024-03-19_11h24_33

KR

Andreas

1 Like

You need to figure out how you’re going to handle this in Revit first. How will the dots be created and maintained? Is it an annotation you draw over the curtain walls? Is it a parametric family? Are they just individual objects drawn one at a time? We can’t help you automate something if you don’t have the process determined yet.

All you really have is a grid with dots having parametrically variable diameters based on elevation. This is the easy part. Figuring out how you’re going to control this in Revit is where most of the effort is going to be.

Hi @Nick_Boyts ,

The idea of this gradient is just a layer that will be overlaid on the panels of the curtain wall, and as it goes down, the visibility percentage will increase. It’s not necessary to generate any editing parameter in Revit, since the idea is to generate the sequence directly in Dynamo to transfer it to the model.

Thank you @Draxl_Andreas !
I’ll install pyREVIT and try it

Transfer it to what though? Are you planning on just creating floating geometry in the model to represent the finished pattern? Nothing wrong with that if that’s all you need, but we need to know how this is being implemented in Revit as that changes how it needs to be handled on the Dynamo side.

In the Revit model, I have a series of curtain walls, with different heights and panel dimensions. My idea is to select all the existing panels in the model and generate this gradient so that its variation is uniform as it goes down. This gradient would be a geometry hosted on the interior face of the panels and on larger surfaces. Don’t know if you get the idea of what I want to do

I think that’s enough to go off of. If you’re just translating geometry then it should be pretty straight forward. Like I said, it’s basically a grid system with dots having parametrically variable diameters based on elevation. I’d start by getting the wall surfaces or bounding box down to a singular surface per wall face, then create a UV array of points. You can then create the dots with varying diameters based on V value.

1 Like

Check out the pattern toolkit as it will do what you want in terms of sizing and scaling the density of the dots. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NarY6ul4eYk

For creation in Revit you could use a floating family or a face hosted family (what it sounds like you are planning), but I would recommend doing this as a stand-alone model or family, hosting the dots on a mass face. That stand-alone model or family can then have one instance created to host the dots.

3 Likes

Yes, I was thinking the same Nick, the I didn’t thought about turning everything in to a singular face per wall.
Thanks a lot for you help!

Thank you @jacob.small I’ll check it out and see how it goes!

Don’t forget subcategories in your panel families, it allows for switching to different patterns in the same model.
Good luck