Distance between modified floors (Headroom)

hello all,

i have 2 modified floor slabs as you can see in the picture. i need to find out what is my minimum headroom, between 2 slabs and this is i got so far but im not sure if im going the right way. any thoughts?

danke

Maybe this helps, with some modifications of coarse

i’m trying but it’s very confusing and complicated

You could get the geometry of both floors and use the node Geometry.DistanceTo. It will give you the smallest distance between the two geometries rather than the smallest vertical distance but it should be close enough in this case.

2 Likes

thanks @kennyb6 it gives me the shortest distance but the bad things is that i cant figure out where it is.

This node will give you the points: https://dictionary.dynamobim.com/#/Geometry/Geometry/Action/ClosestPointTo

1 Like

Not the Dynamo answer, but this is the method I’ve used in the past (& classify as a quick/easy hack)

1. export the floors as an FBX
  2. open in Cloudcompare and sample points of the upper floor mesh (I used 10mm in my example)
  3. run a distance comparison between upper & lower and convert the scalar field into RGB values
  4. bring the pointcloud back into Revit

My sample below took around 5 minutes from scratch. I’ve used it for big floor plates and it works ok
On step 3- I just used the closest distance. If you are considering headroom, particularly for stairs etc, you’d need to calculate vertical distance which is possible in CC)

1 Like

thanks @Marcel_Rijsmus,
as far as i know, i have to get the point of the floor below and draw lines on them on z axis till they hit the floor above and then get each line’s length, all of it is doable for me except the par that the line has to hit the floor above. how can i trim or extend a line to a surface in dynamo? what’s the node? thanks

i think you just have to find the point on the line that intersects with the floor and get the x,y,z. then diminish the z-value with the z-value of the floor your line commes from?

Alternatively there is ray bounce, where it takes an origin point and shoots in a line until it hits a geometry object, which is referenced in @Marcel_Rijsmus’s post #2 .