Dimensions created - but not there?

Hello @all,
i created a script to do some dimensions for wall penetrations. i got 2 different types - rectangular and round face openings. For the rectangular i searched after element.faces to get the outer ones for the dimension. For the round openings i got the solid.center point, made a line, extruded it to get a surface and imported it with ImportInstance.ByGeometryAndView to get it as es Revit Element.Face

Although i sorted all Surfaces into one list and mapped them with right line - somehow i just get the rectangular openings measured.

Hi,

I’m just wondering if you’ve tried dimensioning the import instances in Revit manually? Given that they are not a standard loadable family perhaps they are behaving unexpectedly? It might be that creating a loadable family works?

I’m a little curious about how this is going to workout long term… Are you going to have to hide all these surfaces in your views? Perhaps it might be better to create your openings differently and dimension them directly? If that is an option?

Hope that helps,

Mark

hey Mark :slight_smile:
yes i know it is not the cleanest option to do. i tried multiple workarounds, but dimension by face was the best option to do.
there was another way by familyInstance.References, but this doesn´t gave me the left/right positions of the openings…like dimension.byelement

maybe there is a better way for getting the center of a round face opening to become measured - but for now i dont know how :smiley:

If the dimensions are created but just not showing up, then those dimensions are probably not parallel to the others or to the view plane. This is speculation on my part, but I have had that happen before.

Maybe provide a stripped down version of your model along with your script.

If you look at Genius Loci, it has nodes for returning references and creating a dimension from references…

In addition to @Mark.Ackerley comment, the Genius Loci package also has some good nodes for getting edge and element references.

2 Likes