Dimension by line, for linked elements

Hi, guys!

I am currently working on a script that would place dimensions automatically along a given line. I know there are several threads on the topic already. What I am trying to do is to make it to automatically dimension elements from a linked model as well.

First of all, I am only testing with wall elements so far. I created Python script for placing dimensions, so that I can dimension external faces of the walls, instead of just the line reference. You will notice that in the upper section of the graph I am trying to filter only the walls, intersected by the line.

The problem is that BoundingBox.GetElementIntersect node does not detect the intersection with the wall from the linked file. That is why I tried to feed the linked wall’s faces directly into the python script and convert its faces, using CreateLinkReference(link) Method. Even though I get no return error by doing so and I even see the complete list of all intersecting faces in the output, dimensions for the linked element are still not placed:

I would really appreciate any insights on the issue! Attatched, you can find the main file and the link, as well as the script with the Python code. Thank you so much in advance!

DImensionsByLine.dyn (49.3 KB) Dims.rvt (1.7 MB) Link.rvt (1.5 MB)

Hi @danail.momchilov,

You could use the Genius Loci package which has a lot of nodes to dimension. You can also find some examples with the forum search function.

Thx @Alban_de_Chasteigner , that helps! I did not know about this package. For sure it’s going to be easier than writing the whole code on my own :slightly_smiling_face:

However, this does not solve the problem with finding intersecting walls from linked file.