Data type of Output nodes is not supported

Hello, I downloaded the sample files linked in this blog post, and I am having a few issues troubleshooting as I am relatively new to dynamo. Sample files are in the original blog post.

1. The watch node renamed ‘Space Adjacency Score (Low is Better)’ has the Node Issue “The data type of the following Output nodes is not supported. Use only Output nodes of type float or integer. Note that lists and null values are not supported. Placing Output nodes downstream of Gate nodes is not supported”. The watch node appears to output the result of a sum, so I am confused how the output is not an integer.

2. Upon closer inspection of the blog post, it seems like the nodes are connected differently in the screenshots of the graph. Do I need to use the exact same version of the DynaShape package that the author used?

Thanks

Can you post a few screenshots showing the following:

1. The current value of the nodes which are set as outputs but are providing incorrect results.
  2. The discrepancy between the version on the blog post and what you’re using?

The blog post seems to have wires between different ports, but I have not edited anything in the sample file yet.

Looks like you have a somewhere along the line. As a result the value in the evaluation is coming back as null, which isn’t a valid value in the context of generative design.

Post a preview showing the results, message, and input data for the first node in the chain returning a warning and we might find the issue fairly quickly.

Engine.Execute is the first node in that chain with an error message. Here is the error and some screenshots of the nodes upstream.

Obviously you need to deal with providing valid data to the node, but you can also have a quick check for null outputs if there are valid cases that still result in nulls.

Need to see the data previews expanded.

The error message is telling us it expects one type of input but got another. I can’t quite see it all, but I think it is saying you need to put your boyndaryVerticies into a deeper list (might be reading that wrong). Put a List.Create node on them and see if that works. If not undo that change, expand the previews and post the images again. Note that after you rearrange the nodes so all previews are visible you can zoom into one node so things are legible, and then use the export canvas as image feature (top right, or under file, export).

Here is the entire graph with the data previews, and a List.Create

On the failing node…

1. You have silent mode settings into the ClearancePolygonVerticies input.
  2. You have a boolean (true/false) into the SilentmodeSettings input.
  3. You likely are missing boolean inputs for the other nodes, provide a “true” or “false” value for each.

Basically it apepars the order of inputs shifted and you’ll have to update the content acordingly.

I’ll try to fix that to the best of my ability. Did the inputs get shifted because I’m using a different version of the DynaShape package? If so, would using the same version of the package as the original blog post and starting over from a fresh copy of the .dyn file be easier?

Might help to use the same package version, but you shouldn’t need to restart the DYN. Just restarting Dynamo should do the trick.

The rewriting doesn’t look too difficult. If you’re planning on using this workflow then a firm understanding of the DynaShape package is advisable anyway.