Cut nested family

I’ve searched the forums, but can’t quite determine the issue. I have several families that have nested voids (I didn’t build them, just use them). My script will cut a void family, or a family, however if the void is nested, it won’t work even though I can select them from a list of elements. This is a tedious task across our precast projects to cut these out.

Are you getting an error or just null? Data-Shapes has one that I use without issues.

I replaced it with Data-Shapes and this is what I’m getting.

Just to verify, are you able to manually cut the geometry?

Correct. Now could there be an issue in the object that is being cut? I have an insulated precast wall panel. My families will be cutting the insulation, which will be exported to a file for a CNC router to cut the openings for the connectors. I have to tab to the insulation to select it.

Actually the node from Data-Shapes doesn’t do anything even with a family that is just a void. The one from Clockworks will work with just a void, but not a nested void.
Icon Cutting.dyn (25.0 KB)

I haven’t really tried using the Data-Shapes on nested voids. It’s usually a void that’s created directly in the family that’s being loaded directly into the model, but it does work for me in those situations. Not sure with how to proceed from this point. Maybe someone else will provide additional input.

Voids in families need to be located in the parent family, they will not cut project level elements if they are nested inside another family - It’s a Revit thing.

unless they are shared and have the tick for cut with voids when loaded marked.

1 Like

If I edit the nested void so the void isn’t shared, and load it back into the family and into the project, it will work. However, I loose the visibility of the “orange void”. The shape of the void cut will show up after I run the script. It was always nice to see the color, because it told the drafter/modeler that the voids haven’t been cut yet. Not sure what he lesser of two evils is.

The void should show if it’s not cutting anything in the project or in the family.

If you take that base connection and duplicate the family, edit the family to get to the void, edit the void and deselect “Shared”, and load it all back together and into the project, it won’t show up (you will have to unload the original void from the family). I believe it’s because it’s nested and not shared. At least that’s how mine is working.

Are you using Edge software for precast? That base connection looks familiar. :slight_smile:

Jim

The void I am showing is an extrusion in the main family that’s loaded directly into the project and not in a sub-family.

My company is using Edge, but we only use Edge for hardware association to the panels.