Creating an excel List-How to display specific portions of a line

Trying to get this list to print only the sheet number from the revisions list. Could really use some help on this. Getting stuck.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Hi @SRobbins

Your workflow is completely different than your end goal. There is custom node from clockwork package that will get sheets from revision clouds and then use Sheet.Number OOTB node at the end.

1 Like

Any ideas on how to do this with out Clockwork? Thank you.

Can I ask why the aversion to clockwork? It’s like one of the must have packages. Attempting to avoid it will cost you many a man hour rebuilding the work contained therein.

As an alternative, you could do some string gymnastics. A String.Replace node to swap all of the stuff before the sheet number with an empty string (I think this works if they are always "Workset : View "Sheet: formatted), then split the remaining strings at the " - ", and do a List.Transpose to get a {SheetNumbers,SheetNames,OtherSheetNameParts} list. Get that first item from that list and you’d likely have the data you’re after.

Course if your naming standards aren’t perfect that’ll fall apart at the String.Split command. Or if someone drew one in a view instead of on a sheet. And there’s likely going to be other issues since I only see two entries in your current dataset.

2 Likes

Trying to learn. But caved in and grab archilab. Made another attempt but in a different direction. Please see attached. I just dont know what I’m missing

My guess is that the results of the node in the red circle are bad. Preview them for us. I guess this as that node is asking for revisions, and you are giving it sheets (yellow circles).

Well, I took a new direction again. This time I’m trying to combine sheet numbers and revisions based on their sheet worksets.

BUT I fear I do not understand how List.Combine works and google results turn up web pages with garble on them. :confused:

@SRobbins In your most recent approach I believe you would want to be using List.GroupByKey, with the list as a flattened list of the revisions and the sheets, and the keys being a flatten listed of those elements’ worksets. See below:

I don’t believe this is the best method for what your end goal is, however.

( Here is info on List.Combine from the Dynamo Dictionary, by the way http://dictionary.dynamobim.com/#/Core/List/Action/List.Combine )

Thanks Amy. Unfortunately I saw this too late. We solved it by just looking at the revision clouds and removing the surplus information in the workset. Here is what it looks like:

2 Likes

Glad you worked it out! :smiley:

Thanks. Not as romantic as I was hoping, but better than some of the other things I was trying.