Creating an alterable Geometry shape with a fixed area

I was thinking about trying to produce a script in Dynamo for a geometric shape with a fixed area and minimum dimensions, but with an external form which could be manipulated to suit site specific requirements.

Is this possible?

It’s not really a fair question. Is it possible? Sure, but you’re leaving out a ton of other constraints and requirements to meet your specific needs. You could easily get the ratio of site area to required area and scale the shape of the site to match, but is that what you need? We need more information and better defined constraints to give a useful answer.

Thanks Nick, really appreciate the quick response. Essentially I am looking at trying to create a block for a play area to add to site layouts. These play areas have a fixed minimum area (100sqm) and minimum dimensions (10x10m) but they do not necessarily need to be square. In fact, it is better if they are curved shapes or polygons. It doesn’t matter if the area or dimensions goes over the required measurements, so long as it cannot go under… Is that something that can be produced in Dynamo?

Sure. It sounds like a good use case for Generative Design to test dimensions and check against design constraints for approved outputs. Changing the shape of the area could be challenging to do organically. A straight forward option would be to pre-populate specific shapes and randomize the selection, but that could look funny against the site geometry. The other option is to use intersection geometry to get a site specific shape, and then scale the area to meet your size requirements.

Thanks Nick, really appreciate your help and the quick response. I will let you know how I get on and confirm my thoughts re the solution that works for me.

1 Like

Ah! I’ve done this a few times… much clearer description of what you’re after. May post a possible solution later today - if you can share a few final outputs that may help.

1 Like

Here’s an example .DYN which could be configured to work in the context of Generative Design.

Idea is to drive a series of points which define a single closed nurbs curve, which is patched into a surface that is scaled up to a given size. This could then be placed on a site (with or without a given rotation) and evaluated for the context of fit in the target site; or it could serve as a host for various playground equipment with added clearances and such to allow a nested level of generation; or it could be sent to GD as is to allow for general shape finding… the limits are pretty endless.

Generative Playground.dyn (89.0 KB)

1 Like

Thanks Jacob! Really appreciate your help

1 Like