Creating a surface by area

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if there is any node that helps to create a surface by area in dynamo. I’m planning to make a script that helps to see all the alternatives for a surface based on the area that we have, after that I will add volume and in this way I would like to study all the design alternatives based on area and volume in a project. I know what I want to achieve, but I don’t know how to start it the script.
Any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi,

What do you mean by area ? :slight_smile: What does the input look like ?

Maybe there is something usefull for you in this

1 Like

I’m trying to make something like this:

But I don’t want to be describe only as rectangle, is there any way that script shows every possible shape with the given area? Geometry.dyn (17.8 KB)

1 Like

“every possible shape” is impossible i think :slight_smile: there could be millions

You are trying to describe a infinite-diemension space (the set of shapes) given only a single value (one-dimensional). It is as impossible as knowing the temperature at each minute of the day given only the average temperature over the day…

@mellouze and @m.rijsmus thanks for reply. I will work more on my concept and see if I can find more parameters to help me to start this script.

Hi I was just wondering if there was any update on this. I was thinking about trying to produce a script in Dynamo for a shape, with a fixed area and minimum dimensions, but with a form which could be manipulated to suit site specific requirements.

Is this possible?

I don’t see why not. The question is how do you define the form in a parametric way. The answer to that will depend on the form itself. Likely a good application for Generative Design.

Thanks Jacob, What software would you use for generative design? Dynamo?

Dynamo and Generative Design, the extension therefore. We can continue the convo in your new thread, linked here: Creating an alterable Geometry shape with a fixed area - #6 by JacobSmall.

This will keep the forum cleaner. Closing this thread accordingly.

1 Like