Create Revit Walls from CAD walls using a linked Instance

Hey All,

I am working on an add-in to create Revit walls from a CAD linked instance. I used another post on the Dynamo forums as the basis for this but I am having some issues with it. It seems to work when I draw the temporary Dynamo lines but it does not work once I try to convert those to Revit lines. Below is my add-in and the error I get when I run it after a selecting a linked CAD instance. I’m not sure what I am missing here. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Screenshot 2022-12-01 094909

Only guessing here but it seems like when creating model curves the geometry has to be in the same plane as the link instance. Because there’s no input for setting the curve plane I’d again guess it’s based on your active workplane.

So first, I’d set createModelCurves to false, just to make sure it’s not an issue with the CAD geometry. Once you’ve confirmed that works you can set that back to true and then make sure your active workplane matches the link elevation/plane.

1 Like

It does seem to work when that is set to false. It does create the temporary dynamo lines. It seems like it only errors out when I set the value to true.

Did you confirm the workplane and link location?

1 Like

I’m sorry I’m not too familiar with Workplanes. How would I go about checking that? I am using a new project to test this and I linked the model into level 1. Is there some other step that needs to be taken?

Each of the discipline tabs should have a Work Plane section that will allow you to set and see the active workplane. If the link is placed at Level 1 then you would also want your active workplane to be at Level 1.

1 Like

From what I can tell it is on the correct workplane. Is there anything else I could be missing for the linked instance?

This is what it does if I disable draw model curves. (I moved the link so you could see the lines that get drawn). Obviously they don’t stay there once you close Dynamo.

You can try mine.
Probably have to play with your selections in the CAD file too
Most CAD to Revit scripts grab the entire CAD file, not specific linework.

Walls from CAD file.dyn (13.8 KB)

1 Like

Do the CAD lines exist at the 0 elevation in the drawing? At this point the easiest thing to do would probably just be to have Dynamo create the non-model curves and then convert those to model curves yourself at the appropriate elevation.

1 Like

Which nodes are normally used to convert Dynamo curves to model curves? I am new to drawing walls within Dynamo.

thank you! I will give this a shot.

This only seems to create the temporary Dynamo lines. Is there a way to draw permanent model lines with this add-in?

Sounds like a selection issue.

I have another script that converts single lines in a CAD file into Revit Structural beams, hence the node naming “output” by curve.

WALL by curve
BEAM by curve

Check the DWG elements closely. My guess is that if you view the ‘front’ elevation you’ll see some objects which aren’t planar, and as such Revit can’t work with them (as it doesn’t have a polycurve object type). Equipment and fixtures are a common cause of this.