Create Revit Extrusion

Hi,

I have recently created my first dynamo graph! It’s a modified version of this script

The modifications that I made are: split up the osm data in three different families:

1. one with known building heights (extrusion height = actual building height)
  2. one with unknown building heights but known building levels (extrusion height = user defined level height x levels)
  3. one with unknown building heights and building levels

However, I want to make it easier for my users to edit the created geometry (right now I’m using the Springs FamilyInstance.ByGeometry node that creates a freeform shape. Is there a way to instead create Revit extrusions? That way my users could edit the sketch and extrusion height from within Revit, cut it with voids etc.

I found one older topic stating that this wasn’t possible but perhaps things have changed (dynamo updates seem to happen very often?).

Also, is it possible to create, with one graph, nested families? For example, I would like to create one container family, that holds a unique nested family for each building. I could then store information about these building (name, address, …) in the nested subfamilies. Ideally these nested families would also have a parameter to change the height of the extrusion.

1 Like

I figure as of right now it’s not possible to create native Revit extrusions (or sweeps, blends, …) with Dynamo. With native extrusions I mean extrusions that would allow ‘edit sketch’ from within Revit.

I have created a Revit Idea about this. Please add your vote if you think this would help your workflows.

Hi Pieter,

what did you mean by “a unique nested family for each building?”

Can you share the definition so I can take a look a it?

Also, is it possible to create, with one graph, nested families? For example, I would like to create one container family, that holds a unique nested family for each building. I could then store information about these building (name, address, …) in the nested subfamilies. Ideally these nested families would also have a parameter to change the height of the extrusion.

Theoretically, you probably can, I’m really wondering why you’d want to do that with Dynamo, I can’t think of many cases where simply drawing something with Revit would be easier. You can of course let instance parameters as well as the kind of family itself be influenced by parameters in the parent family, that’s very doable.

I’m wondering what you goal is it with because doing that as a general thing it is both really difficult and really impractical.