Create polyline from profile

Hi everyone. I’m trying to create polylines from profile to use them as reference. There is an addin that does this but it only works until Civil 3D 2020. I’ve done the reverse process (convert polylines to profiles) following some older posts but I don’t find what nodes to use to convert profile to polyline. I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance.

The Arkance Systems Node Library has a node to convert a Profile into a PolyCurve. Both the 2D side view as the 3D top view can be converted.

2 Likes

I’ve used Arkance and I’ve managed to get the profile geometry in the polycurve but now I don’t get how could I translate that geometry to a polyline. I hope you can help me. Thanks for your response.
image.

That should be basic knowledge. You can find a node for that here:

Unfortunately the core node does not always work but in the Civil 3D Toolkit library you will find a similar one that does work.

2 Likes

If you are a beginner, you might consider buying a very good book that helps you to understand Dynamo :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for your response. I attach the final dyn in case it would be useful for anyone. The only inputs are the profile (asking the user to select it) and the layer where the polyline would be created.
polylineFromProfile.dyn (23.3 KB)

3 Likes

Sorry to ask, but is there limitations with the node GetDynamoGeometrySideView? When I use it with simple profiles (such as roadway profile without curves) it works without problem. But when I try to use it with surface profiles it doesn’t work and doesn’t generate. It has to do with the Arkance node or with the C3D Toolkit node? Sorry to bother you again. Thanks.

A quick test:

Can you provide more information what is going wrong? Screenshot or error message?