Create plane

Hi,

So I’m stuck while creating planes using dynamo. I want a vertical plane which follows the path of a straight line. There are multiple things I’ve already tried but none of those things do what I want them to do. The data I’ve got availble are points (based on the data given by lines) and vector’s, is there someone who can help me with this?

Please note that its required for civil, not revit.

Hi,
if I understand right, the normal of the desired plane is the vector of Pn(x,y)–>Pn+1(x,y) and the base point is Pn(x,y,z). In this case you can use the Plane.ByOriginNormal OOTB node using the Pn–>Pn+1 xy vector, and Pn(xyz). If the pline is 3D and you leave the z in the normal, the plane won’t be vertical, thats why I left them out.
If the base point (therefore the plane) is on the straight line between the vertices, then you need some iteration with vector operations to find the base point coords.

Hi, thanks for your response.
Can you explain what you mean by Pn (I suppose you mean plane but I’m not sure) and can you also explain what the normal of a plane is. If I know those things I think I can better understand your explanation. The basepoint are the values under “Vector.X” and “Vector.Y”, as can be seen in my first image of the original post. If it really has to be a point instead of a vector then I can find this value with the help of iteration.

Pn is the nth vertex(P as point) of the polyline. The normal of a plane is a vector perpendicular to the plane

something like this:

The plane at the vertex is “facing” the segment of the pline following the vertex.

oh, now I see that I may misunderstood your request. The green line would be the vertical plane?

yes the green line should be the vertical plane, I will look if your solution work after my lunch.

where did you find this node?

C3D Toolkit

this one?

okay I think this one is it, under which tab is it? I already had the package installed but I couldnt find it if I searched for it.

Oh. My bad, I messed up, it is an Arkance Systems node, the getgeometry node is from the Toolkit.

ah no problem, I found it now.
But it doesnt work for me, while I made the exact same structure as you. It gives me the error that the select object is a line and not a curve, which is true tho. How can I transform the line into a (poly) curve?

You are using Lines. Try to make Polyline from them (pedit, multiple) or try the OOTB object.getgeometry node

I transformed one line with the pedit command, just to see if it was working. But it didnt draw the plane accross the whole length of the line, if I change the scale_factor then the whole plane just dissapears. Is there a way to increase this size? And is there also a way to apply the pedit command inside of dynamo?

Okay, so I tried some things and I believe this should work. I only need to transform those parameters to two points. Do you have any idea how I could do this?

Please be more specific, what do you mean by “transform those parameters to two points”?

well, if I understood you correctly uou use the list.first/last item to get your coördinates (see image).

Since I’m working with lines instead of polylines I use the ObjectExtensions nodes to get those coördinates. But how can I use those results to create the vector (results as seen in image)? Because it doesnt see those variables as coördinates.

For lines try this:

You’ll have to convert your AutoCAD points (point3d) into Dynamo points.
See this topic how to do that: Autodesk.Autocad.Geometry.Point3d to DS geometry

Yeah, I know. That is my post :smiley: But I wouldn’t go that way if I don’t have to.
EDIT: Sorry I thought you were the OP :smiley:

1 Like

Totally agree!

@remco.dejong What about this approach using the start- and endpoint of your Line :

1 Like