Create plane

Yes, that works thanks. I now have planes on all my lines.

Does it matter that the plane doesnt stretch across the whole line, or does that depend on what it is going to be used for?

The plane extends to infinity, what you see is just a visual representation of the plane.

1 Like

Does it extend to infinity in all the directions (X, Y and Z) or only the one that is fed into the plane creation? (in this case vector Z.axis)

No, not all directions. I don’t think it would be a plane if that were the case. Just orthogonal to the normal.

Do you have experience with the Geometry.Intersect node yet? If not, it might be helpful to play around with that for a little bit and intersect planes with other geometry types. It can be a helpful visual.

The Z axis node is only here to rotate the P1-P2 vector to be perpendicular to the original line thus creating the normal of the plane. Your planes are infinte in 2 directions: one vector is always changing on the XY plane (your lines) and the other vector is the Z axis (if it is vertical).

This might be helpful too.

https://primer.dynamobim.org/05_Geometry-for-Computational-Design/5-2_vectors.html

3 Likes

orthogonal, like perpendicular? or do you mean something else?
I have a little experience with the geomertry.intersect node, but it didnt really did what I wanted (was not because of the note but because of the handles on the items)

ah great thanks, so just to clreaify it. If you would link a vector.X/Y axis than it would have a different rotation?

I’m not really sure, I understand your question. What I meant is that your green lines are on the xy plane.
So the vector pointing from the line start point to the line endpoint is on the xy plane (lets say P1P2=V1 vector). If you need the normal of the desired vertical plane, you need a vector that is perpendicular/orthogonal to the oroginal V1 vector. To achive this you have to rotate V1 around Z axis, so it stays in xy plane.

ah I feel like I fully understand you now, thanks for your help!