Create new subcategory and apply it to a family's reference planes that define the origin

Hi, everyone. I’m new to Dynamo, and I would really appreciate some help with this. I build a lot of families for the company I work for, and I have a specific workflow that I want to automate with Dynamo. When creating or updating a family, I want to:

1. Create a subcategory for reference planes
  2. Set the subcategory for all reference planes that define the family’s origin to the newly created subcategory for reference planes.

I’ve got Dynamo to create the new subcategory. I’ve unsuccessfully tried several ways to update the subcategory of reference planes and need help. How do I update only the reference planes that define the family’s origin to the new subcategory.

Dynamo:

Why not do this once and save it as a new family template?

Hi, JacobSmall. Once upon a time, I did that to some family templates and it worked great. What we noticed, though, is the families we built using those templates became unstable/unreliable. I think it has to do with not being able to save a new family template without a workaround.

Renaming the extension almost certainly is not a cause for any type of corruption or instability. In fact once you see the RFA Revit is clueless as to the template itself - the only impact would be at the initial step for a ‘new’ family.

What instability or reliability issues were you seeing?

I’m using this script to update 300+ families to the company’s standard. I’m able to isolate the origin planes. Here is the before and after of what happens.

Before:

After:

The subcategory is created, but the line color and pattern were not changed, nor where the isolated reference planes assigned the “Origin Plane” subcategory. See the attached .dyn.

Help, please!

OriginPlanes.dyn (37.3 KB)