Create form from profile family

Hello everyone, can anyone suggest me how can I create a solid form from two generic profile families using dynamo.

1. Get the family types you want to use as the profiles.
  2. Get the geometry of the profile families, and create a closed polycurve of each.
  3. Create a new coordinate system for each geometry, locating and orienting them as needed.
  4. Apply the associated coordinate system to each polycurve.
  5. Create a solid by loft.
  6. Move to a new family type or family instance as desired.

Thanks @jacob.small, the solid was created using Solid.ByLoft node, but I am not able to do anything with it in the Mass Family environment. I want to generate the form to which I can like anyother family we manually create in family template and load it back into the project.

As u can see I have profile placed following two curves as path, what I am trying to do here is to select first two profile create form then select the second two profile and create form and later assign material to it and load it into the project, is there any way to achieve the desired result with dynamo??

This is what is required as output

Yes - I believe that the Synthesize Toolkit has some of this functionality. Likely worth considering authoring your own code in Python direclty as the 1:1 set of inputs can be difficult to pull if you want to maintain flexibility.

Thank you @jacob.small, will look into it.

Hi SkuBaid,

Did you manage to find the solution of it?
Could you advise anything about it as I am stuck in the same problem, please?

Hi @Whale_ale,

Welcome to the forum.
Maybe the link below from @Konrad_K_Sobon can point you in the right direction.
https://archi-lab.net/profile-family-to-ds-polycurve/
An updated version of the “PolyCurve by Profile Family Type” node can be found here.
https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/profile-family-along-a-curve/28321/2?u=mjb-online

Hi @Whale_ale, I had to write a small python script for it to work where the logic is :
-say we have 3 profile namely P1,P2,P3 in one list,
-the script breaks that 1 list into n number of list for this example we will have to generate 2 list (say L0,
L1).
-the final output will be as L0 (P1, P2) and L1(P2,P3)
-You will require a “for loop” for the desired outcome from the script

Hi @SkUbaid
Thank you for your advice!
I think my explanation was insufficient. My apologies.
I am actually looking for a way to create a form using a profile(generic adaptive family) like the one generated by the function ‘Create from’.
I guess there is a way to achieve it by using a python script but I was not able to find it…
Could you give a hint should you have any idea? Should I use the method in the link below?
NewLoftForm Method
The below image is what I am trying to achieve.

Hi @MJB-online,

Thank you very much for your help!
The link may help me in a way and I’ll make sure to look into it.
But the link shows making a solid form in Dynamo and it won’t be possible to amend in the Revit environment, I guess.

Hi @Whale_ale, since I have not used the new loft form method so not sure about the output it gives,
in my case in the later stage of my work, instead of profile family I have created an adaptive family.

This link should point you in the right direction if you want to use the new loft method.

If it is just the crash barrier “I suppose, as the profile family seems to be” you might find this link helpful

1 Like

Hi @SkUbaid,

Thank you for your kind advice!!
I’ll go through the link and try both of them.
Cheers!

1 Like

@Whale_ale did you solve this using dynamo?

We have a script that places several different profiles along an alignment using this methodology and need to select all of of each type and click “create form” each time there’s an update. I’d love to have the script do this as well.

1 Like

Hi @Astrid.za,

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to do it and create a form manually.
Sorry for not helping you.

1 Like

Hi @SkUbaid @SkUbaid @Astrid.za @Whale_ale

You can use “BriMohareb_2023” to Create form from profile family
Three_point_adaptive.rfa (668 KB)
ss.dyn (16.8 KB)

1 Like