Create A Schedule of Filled Region Area

I have been advised to use Dynamo to create a schedule of filled region area, which Revit can’t do. I am completely new to Dynamo and have no idea where to start, I tried a script I found online but got an error messages. Below is image of the 4 filled region I want to schedule the area, I created a project parameter named as Region Area, after I run the script, I got an error message, how should I fix it? Thank you!

I’d suggest looking at the data types coming out of the getparametervaluebyname node to ensure they are all doubles. My guess is one of your detail items that isn’t a filled region may have a parameter called Area which is using text as its data type, which takes precedent over the project parameter.

It looks like the script has worked for those it could apply the parameter to successfully, so somewhere in your list of outcomes there will be some nulls - check what the elements are causing them and investigate their parameters.

I’d also suggest trying my Collect.Regions node from Crumple which will get regions only and not other detail items from the model:

You are probably right. I don’t know enough about Dynamo yet to do the investigation. I started my original project with our firm’s template which included a sample building.

I just redid it with a simple Revit Template and the script seemed to work. But I don’t know how this script can help me create a schedule. I have added a project parameter named as Region Area, but when I tried to start a schedule/quantities, I didn’t see the parameter there, when I tried to create a parameter with the same name, it said a parameter with the same name already exists.

Hello @HLCN are you sure thats a shared parameter

Nope, it is a project parameter. Should I set it as shared parameter?

yeps…if you wanna add it to a schedule

1 Like

To add to @sovitek’s advice, I would just make the schedule manually vs using Dynamo. This script is what I would refer to as a utility (passing area to area parameter), and making a schedule is probably easiest done the normal way.

1 Like

I see. I found this online which comes with the same post sharing the script I am using. I am also new to parameters, how should I set this parameter as a shared parameter? When I tried to create one, I got this -

1 Like

just create a new txt file an create the parameter after that go parameters and add it to you category…think actuelly its a revit quastion,try a google search how to create shared parameters…

PS you area parameter will not update live as the buildin you copy from

This sounds too complicated to me. I just wanted to add a schedule through view/schedule, is this what you mean by " manually" , I didn’t mean to use dynamo to create a schedule.

This is what I have followed

Yes i mean just make the schedule in Revit, don’t get the script to do that part. Sounded like you aimed to do that in your previous posts.

1 Like

You can schedule project parameters that aren’t shared as long as they’re assigned in the project and not in the family. There is no need make it a shared parameter if you only need it for scheduling. However if you want to also tag it - then it would need to be shared. I’m not sure though if there are tags for detail items.

2 Likes

The issue is that the filled region area parameter is read-only and cannot be scheduled, so he would need to use Dynamo to push the area values into a project parameter and then schedule that project parameter. A project parameter should work just fine for this.

Please have a read of the blog post I made here. Scroll to the bottom.
https://dynamobim.org/bahaʼi-house-of-worship-dr-congo-tiling-automation/

1 Like

Yes, I do have tags for the filled regions and need to include the “comment” into the schedule