Copy Section View Along a Curve

Okay fellow dynamites. I am looking for insight on how I can copy the section shown multiple times and place the new sections at each point along the highlighted curve. Also, the sections need to be tangent to the curve. The geometry copy element node from Structural Design package gets me in the ballpark somewhat. It will copy the section, but there is no way to designate the location or offset distance for the new section. Any direction, would be greatly appreciated.

Instead of trying to copy the section, I recommend you make new ones.

This Dynamo Office hour shows how to generate sections based on the geometry of the element itself, but you may want to look over the proceeding two as well.

2 Likes

Hi @staylor I would try as Jacob suggest, but if you will try to copy you could try copy by vector from clockwork…but will probably be as you already tried

another alternative way could be viewsection by line from datashapes…

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies @jacob.small and @sovitek. I will look into both responses and let you know. Ultimately it would be preferred to have the script create all sections at specified points versus copying an existing one at certain distances. Thanks

I haven’t fully reviewed the Dynamo Hours session yet. But trying your method I couldn’t get the ViewSection.ByLine to work. After pulling the code and running directly from the python script I am getting this error.

Looks like this part is failing
I do need to get this to work in 2022.

Hi @staylor are you sure its the latest datashapes is should work from 2016-2024 i have just test with the newest in 2022 and seems to work…

Figured out the curve/edge that I was selecting is also sloped in addition to being an arc. So I guess the view section node can’t create the transform properly. I will see if I can work around it. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

arhh its on a double curved…then try pull the curves on plane…and if you are in 2022 then try vector cross for vectors side (in 2024 we have a new normal node with option side ]…

EDIT…

1 Like

Yeah that’s pretty much the direction I headed in. I haven’t used vector cross, but will look more into it.
Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

is it possible to see or have the full scrip? Thank you

I dont have it anymore probably Samuel have…but its already showed above both for 2024 with the new normal node and for older version where we probably need to calculate the vector with cross…try if you can follow or if it go wrong then please create a new topic where you are stuck…cheers :wink:

1 Like

This is my base script, but it’s pretty much a replication of what @sovitek shows above.

Create Sections Along Edge Orig.dyn (70.5 KB)