Compare revit families from two projects

Hi Dynamo Experts

Is there any way of looking at a family within an external family ie a Template file, and enabling this to be compared to the same family in the existing project to look for inconsistencies?

Basically looking for override of internal parameters when a user overrides by mistake or makes a new instance outside process.

Example

Project 01 - Template

Family = Truss 01
List item members
Get parameter info from each member
look for parameter Length

Compare project 1 and project two for differences

Project 02 - User unique

Family = Truss 01
List item members
Get parameter info from each member
look for parameter Length

Hi,

So I think you can probably make it work…

My initial suggestion would be to temporarily load in the Reference familes, check their parameter values against the inserted files, export the results to excel, then undo their insertion. You would like need to dig around in the forum for how to do that, probably using Python. You’d want to avoid the Reference families having the same name as the ones in the project.

However, it does sound like you want to interrogate the elements of the family… Mostly people try to avoid background opening familes where possible, as it can create a risk of instability if they are not correctly closed again. I believe there are nodes in Rhythm for doing this, so I would recommend using those. I do also think it would also be pretty slow to run over an entire project. But you should be able to extract the elements of different types and do some kind of comparison…

Hope that helps,

Mark

If you’re only comparing names/parameter values, why don’t export the “correct” information to a non-Revit file first and check your project version against that Excel/SQL/XML/JSON whatever?

Then you eliminate the hassle of opening extra Revit documents and loading/unloading on the fly.