Community question: computational design in aec forum?

I work in the biggest city in China.However there isn’t much face to face meetings in real life.There are exhibitions but it’s just a show,you can walk around and see their paintings and models and then leave without much help.The only two lecture I have attend,one is a professor from Harvard.I was initially going to an exhibition,attend this lecture is coincidence.Another is a lecture about BIM,it’s held in Universities and those who are signed up can participate.Most of them are still students.There are not many who has alread worked.And all audience has only 3 chance for asking questions.There are no discussion.
Another two kind of meetings are introduction of Standards of code or laws about AEC industry.The most common is those factory who want to introduce their products like waterproof material,insulation material.Believe or not these are mostly brands from Europe and America or Australia companies.

So there no face to face meetings for discussion about computation design or any other kind topic.At least this is the situation in China.

Online forum is a place for many with same hobbies.However because of severe censorship on Internet in China.Most forum has been shutdown.And many people become unwilling to talk or share online.That’s one reason many Chinese seek English forum.This dynamo forum is great.It has a lot of good people to help and solve other people’s problem when using dynamo.

However I think there’s too much posts about python,the DesignScript and C# or just when nodes doesn’t work.And not much content about computation design or parametric design.I went from grasshopper to dynamo.The reason why I use dynamo more is because I use Revit more than Rhino.I know there’s tool RhinInsideRevit.And this is great.But I think this is more for those who has mastered grasshopper and has no intention to do it again in dynamo.Grasshopper has more plugins and Rhino has powerful engine for NURBS curve and surface.But it’s more about Geometry and Revit is more about BIM,a model with information.Dynamo has geometry nodes even it’s not powerful as grasshopper but it works for majority of project.I think dynamo is originally a copy of grasshopper.
Last not all dynamo user are developers and are willing to try python or even C#.I hope the forum will has more post about computational design and parametric design.Here are some past post I think is great.

2 Likes