Close Background Revit Files

Hi @nharburger,

I wanted to provide an update on this request.

Recently I released a version of Rhythm that included the following node to accommodate this,

However, the node was only halfway reliable because of some stability issues demonstrated in the following thread in relation to other background open operations from other packages.
https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/copy-views-to-document-on-file/33448

In short, with background opening scripts Dynamo gets placed in a fairly “uneasy” state as we are interactively switching the Revit document. This means that if the document was lost (background closed), then Dynamo would crash. This was demonstrated in the thread above but here is a GIF of that in action as well.

20190318-BackgroundOpenCrashing

As a package developer, this is not something I was proud of as it could lead to a pretty crummy user experience and be perceived as unreliable.

So, I went ahead and implemented a fix that will not crash like previously demonstrated. This new method returns the title of the document and stores the Autodesk.Revit.DB.Document within the nodes themselves. Here is how this now functions.
20190318-BackgroundOpenWorking

As you can see the node can be run automatically and have the values changed on the fly in regards to Rhythm background document workflows.

With all of those changes came the addition of the Applications.GetDocuments nodes.

Here is a GIF of that node in action as well.
20190318-BackgroundOpenedCloseDocs

I plan on pushing a release on Tuesday of this week after I go ahead and take a look at a few other things. As always, the latest package will be on the package manager and be compatible with Dynamo 1.3.4 and 2.0.x, and Revit 2017+.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope the update will help!
-John

7 Likes