Clash Detection

This is awesome. Would be great to select Model Categories from the link instance separately from Model categories in the document to compare. Unless All categories in document picks up link categories too. I’ve been trying to get model categories from the link instance but struggling

Good news I am working on something similar and I will publish it soon

however in the meantime you can do as follow @vanman

2 Likes

Thanks man. Currently I’m just running it so you can pick the link model elements for the category you want. Then a window to select current model categories you want to check against.

About to have a look at your amazing python to just crop the section box around a certain distance to the intersection point instead of the whole element.

Update, got no idea how to adjust that code to create a certain sized scope box around the element haha

1 Like

Is it possible to overide the linked element surface with a colour?

1 Like

Feel like this is a super simple question. How do I view the element intersections in dynamo?

1 Like

Hi @vanman

about the override linked elementa unfortunately that can’t be done per element since revit can’t access linked element you can only override per category and I didn’t try that by dynamo or you can do it by template filter.to get the intersection point between two elements please send me a sample for your project so I can check the issue.

also you can control the section box size by the 3rd input in the create view node.

1 Like

Hi Mohammad, thanks for all your help. Is the section box only an offset to the element it wraps around? Sometimes its an intersection through a large floor and its hard to spot where the intersection is in the view. I was hoping there was a function to offset the section box 2m off the intersection point of the elements. Not around the element if that makes sense. Update, been doing some research and looking into it. Seems like itd be pretty tough to get a point inside intersecting elements to create a scope box around

I was also trying to see the elements in Dynamo but it dosn’t seem to want to make the element viewable in dynamo with geometry or solid nodes.

1 Like

Ok I will try to address this idea and implement it in the next update. However you still can easily after creating the view and override the element by dynamo to run interference check in revit for the same element (eg.floor) VS the engaged element and the clash will be so clear for you.

1 Like

Interference check. So simple! Do you mind if I ask in your experience. Why are people using Navis and other external software for clash detection? Is it because its easier if all contractors arn’t using Revit? Then navis works can do clashes between different formats? If everyones using Revit, is there any point to a external clash detection software outside of Revit?

Hi @vanman,

That’s a big discussion, if you google you’ll find some responses… Basically yes, if you want to bring together lots of software (think pipework subcontractors etc.) Navis is better. 360 Glue I believe does good ‘design’ coordination. The clash detection in Navis is more sophisticated, you can set offset tolerances etc. but I find it very unwieldy… I would prefer a Dynamo workflow to help me manage the output data (in Navis or Revit, I don’t care which)… All this software is bundled for me, however if money was no object, I believe Solibri is much smarter at managing the clash detection data 'out of the box.

Hope that’s useful,

Mark

2 Likes

i second that solibri is good stuff
it will even give you an alert if a door swing will knock something off the ceiling

3 Likes

Hi all,

The whole process depends on the desire, so simply the idea behind using dynamo for coordination purposes is to use one sofwate without the need to go forth and back between softwares, since the results will be reflected back on the Revit models itself. For sure dynamo will not be able to represent all the features like navisworks do ( tolerance, type of clashes, number of tests, representing the the data in reports, etc) but if your looking to solve clashes not reporting then dynamo is the answer and vice versa and just to let you now in 2016 navisworks had realesed the update of roll back so it can highlight the element in the revit to see the clashes but still for big projects you need to sit section box to see the clash in revit and to solve it. In the other hand i beleive solibri is more to validate the models thats not created by your team from scratch which been received from another party with the sets of rules (which is not that easy to build) but for me one thing I didn’t like about solibri thats only deals with IFC models which usually lose some elements geometry while converting. I think this is big topic to be discussed here as @Mark.Ackerley had said. Hope this answer your question

2 Likes

Enhanced workflow in the below link.

Hello Mohammad,
I checked out your enhanced workflow, its really great. But I was wondering is it possible that it considers the Door’s swing and not just the Door’s fixed place.

Hello Rahim,

The workflow will cover the physical elements that intersect with each others only.

Okay and is there a way for door swing?

I am sure there is away to do that, but to be honest i haven’t try it before i recommend you to open new topic regarding the same and keep be involved.

I have tried to run it but the Get document node is not working (it says that the definition of the custom node is not uploaded) . I cannot modify it either. Can someone help me solve this issue?

I think the node has turned red colour because it is from a package you don’t have yet. The way in which it is stacked shows it is a custom node which is different from the out of the box nodes (OOTB). To get it to work you need to download the package it is from. In this case I think you can try download the Clockwork and Archi-Lab packages. The red node might be in one of those packages.

Thank you so much It worked after downloading the archi lab package

1 Like