Civil3D - PolyCurve.ByPoints bug

Hi,
is there a bug in “Polycurve.ByPoints”?
In my example it only combines 2 points.

When i change the lacing to something else, i get only NULL values.

If i select the first and the last point and use “Polycurve.ByPoints” it works.
The right length is 23,9m.

is your geometry scaling set to large? I would set it to medium if you need to join points this level of precision between points.

Hi @Fiesta ,

It is working in my side. See sample images. Also, I set to Medium or Large it is working but won’t work in extra large. Maybe check the version.

Cheers,
Jowenn

@Fiesta can you please attach a repro file?

@Fiesta although this data seems to work for creation of Polycurves with the Medium and Large “Geometry Scale” settings it is not guaranteed to work in Dynamo:

The Geometry Scale settings dialog specifies a lower and upper bound for ranges of values that can be used for each setting - Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large, however the values you’re using are outside these bounds. For example, your graph has numbers as large as 7 digits after the decimal and as precise as 3 or 4 digits before the decimal but if you see the “Large” setting for example, supports only up to 7 digits after the decimal and 2 before, while the “Extra large” supports up to 9 and 1 respectively:

In summary it is not advisable to have very large data on the one end but at the same time have very high precision in terms of very small fractions on the other.

1 Like

One thing that can help is building your profiles at the origin, and then applying a transform coordinate system to them to ‘put them in place. I have had some really good results with this in the last 24 hours. :slight_smile:

Thx for your help!
My geometry scale was set to extra large. With only large it worked.

@jacob.small i will try this out, thx for your idea!

@Fiesta keep it to medium and don’t trust Large, it will sometimes return the wrong output

Ok thx.
But why is there the option to set the geometry scale to large and extra large?

1 Like

@Michael_Kirschner2 and @Aparajit_Pratap can answer that better than I can :slight_smile:

@Paolo_Emilio_Serra1 @Fiesta the reason for the geometry scale setting is that Dynamo geometry has a recommended range of 10^-6 to 10000 units within which all geometry creation and operations are likely to be numerically stable. However since a lot of our users use numbers frequently outside this range, (they quickly end up with large numbers if they are working with millimeters, for example) we give them the option to select the range of numbers they’re working with in their Dynamo graph and accordingly scale the numbers under the hood so that they lie within this recommended range in Dynamo, then perform the requested operation, and finally scale back the results into the original range of numbers that the user expects.

A more detailed explanation can be found here: https://dynamobim.org/think-big-geometry-with-lots-of-zeros/

If there are issues with the Large settings (settings other than medium), please let us know with any reproducible workflows that you may have @Paolo_Emilio_Serra1 so that we can fix any bugs. We expect this feature to work as stated and do not want to discourage users from using it due to inconsistencies they may be encountering.

1 Like

Thanks @Aparajit_Pratap I did as soon as geometry scaling was introduced https://github.com/DynamoDS/Dynamo/issues/7782