Chevron Brick Pattern

Hi,

we are building a theater building, which has a very specific Brick Pattern.

The chevron Brick pattern consist of bricks which are lined up under 45°
Every two layers, the bricks are being dragged half of their projected length on the facade.

Does anyone have created something similar to get me started?

As the the bricks literary stand out of the plane, I would like to thread them as 3-dimensional geometry, and not as a graphic pattern.

Kind regards,

Willem

First make a family and load it into your environment.
Then place the first two rows of family instances along the divided curve.
Offset the curve startpoint by 1/2 a step, and then repeat for the next two rows.

This thread shows spacing and rotating families along a curve.

The old Dynamo instructional videos had a similar example of placing a family according to a divided surface (aka your backup wall).

That workflow can be adjusted to meet the needs of the job or family, but we (the community) need some additional info from you such as:

1. Revit file with the approximate extents of the wall.
  2. Family with the build of your block.
  3. Dynamo graph and a screenshot which indicates where you got stuck.

@Willem_Creffier Not the same pattern, but might help …

I think another way to achieve this, would be through the half step pattern on a devided surface, with a 4 point adaptive family representing two layers of bricks.

Edit: A curtain panel pattern based with the half step grid would maybe make more sense :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Vikram,

thanks, you definitely got me started.

I tried to understand the script, and did adapt it.

Unfortunately, the central piece of script which defines the geometry transformation is beyond my skills.

I imported the ultimate geometry in.dwg.

If there is an enthusiast out there…feel free.

ExtrudedHeader 04.dyn (22.4 KB)
ExtrudedHeader 04.rvt (1.5 MB)
Onderlegger lijnen.dwg (32.6 KB)
Model 04 advexp.dwg (518.8 KB)

In order to make it more conceivable, I colored the bricks on a material level.

Possibly, the more compact solution is it to adapt it in Dynamo.

However, in a later stage I will have to randomly place 7 types of partly glazed bricks over 164.000 positions.

Kind regards,

Willem

1 Like

My 2 cents on it:
Though it might be achieved with a divided surface I see more disadvantages than advantages in that approach considering cutting the end elements and how heavy the file becomes when using divided surface.
And to the author - I think some in-depth analysis of the pattern on paper or however you prefer - just to understand the underlying math of the pattern would help you a lot. Once you have the math it’s easier to adapt it in Dynamo.

1 Like

Pythagoras…

Onderlegger lijnen 02 Model (1).pdf (13.9 KB)

1 Like

Not sure if this issue is resolved, but I made a script that can suit almost any brick/block shape. I made this for a colleague who spends a lot of time modelling retaining walls. The script requires a few inputs: block dimensions, block rotation, Revit model or detail lines(for path), toposurface, block family, levels, and walls steps. As I have set it up, the wall snaps to the centre point of a line projected vertically onto the toposurface. This line is created from the Revit detail or model lines. It is also essential to select a filled region used to sculpt the retaining wall in plan. The filled region is extruded between two levels and used to filter the block points, so the levels you select must be separated by a height greater than the height of the wall. Download the script at the link below.
Enjoy!

7 Likes