Changing family to another family

I have such a problem with changing families.
I have in the electrical project families of VZT channels as electrical busbars. Which is quite often used.
In our company, we have busbars, but as a category of electrical routes.

And my question is, does anyone have a Dynamo script that could change this. I am mainly interested in changes to straight sections and knees. To switch it from pipes to electrical routes.

Is such a thing even possible? Or will we have to redraw it?

Hi @michal.janata ,

Simple answer: Yes! You can use the FamilyInstance.SetParameterByName node with the parameter-name input as “Family and Type”. I’m also not sure if this will work with families which have start- and endconnectors, but you could always retrieve the start and endpoints of these instances to built new instances completely.

However I don’t know how your families are set up and as such the insertion point may vary and the new instance may not end up at the same location/elevation. Parameter-values of those family instances won’t be transferred unless you build something to extract the old ones to add them to the new ones, but unless your families are built in the exact same way they probably don’t have matching parameters.