Changing a Dynamo Script into a Revit Add-in(Plug-in)

Hi Guys, I wanted to ask if there was any possible way I can change a dynamo script into a Revit Plug-in or an Add-in , Is that possible ?

Maybe you need convert python or design script to c# syntax.

1 Like

any links or a real example that I can see, this would help a lot considering this is my first time doing such a thing .

The closest you can get without using C# or visual studio is packaging scripts up into a toolbar for pyRevit or a similar platform. I have a video on that here:

If you want to make a proper addin you will need to move on from Dynamo, learn the Revit API/C#/Visual studio and develop addins the proper way. There isn’t really a shortcut to converting Dynamo to a closed off addin which can be sold or distributed like a typical one.

There are a lot of general videos on learning how to make addins, but it’s quite complex and eventually you will need to learn on your own two feet for that particular branch of Revit programming.

1 Like

there are two main options to be able to do this.

You convert your scripts as a proper Addin which is developed accordingly with c#

Or you can look at either of the following addin that can load a script as a button.
PyRevit - http://wiki.pyrevitlabs.io/
Relay - GitHub - johnpierson/Relay: Relay allows for you to add Dynamo graphs to your Revit ribbon.
Orkestra - https://www.orkestra.online/

1 Like

what aspect of being an ‘add-in’ do you want?

different code base?
just a button on the ribbon?

have you looked at dynamo player?

1 Like

If I could be allowed a side note here.
I have checked workflows that put Dynamo graphs in the ribbon since back when we didn’t have a Dynamo player (Dyno was the first that I tried)
Now, with the Dynamo player, especially the way it looks in Revit 2023 I can’t see any advantages in using a third party tool for running Dynamo graphs. I think it actually adds to the complexity of the workflow instead of making it smoother.
Am I missing something?

3 Likes