Change Text Note to Uppercase

To change text note value to all upper case just use “get all elements of category” node and feed it TextNotes category. Then use an archi-lab package to get a built in parameter called TEXT_TEXT. Use upper case node in dynamo to convert all text values to upper case and feed the result back to set built in barameter that can also be found in archi-lab package.

Mine just changed the “title on sheet” parameter. Good thing Konrad is a python master! It also only changes to upper, would lower be beneficial?

I will be showing this at AU2015

In the practically Dynamo lab?

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I didn’t want to create a new one since this is the same topic. I’m new to dynamo but have been able to create some of my own, sequences (? I don’t know what to call them). I have used Marcello’s instruction, from AU 2015, to successfully change case on certain types of views (plans, sections, and schedules) and even some type parameters (proud of myself for successfully being able to replicate that). So, I’m not totally helpless. But I’ve been at this for about half a day trying to figure out why this wont work with no luck. I tried each of the solutions mentioned in this thread, but was unsuccessful. I’m probably missing something, so a set of more experienced eyes on this would be much appreciated. This is all in Dynamo 1.1.0

I couldn’t try the library that Marcello made for us for his AU 2015 class. I kept getting an error when I tried to import it.

I looked in the Archi_Lab package but couldn’t find the TEXT_TEXT node.

I tried the Clockwork Package but it didn’t work…

I tried the Rhythm Package, both “All Upper” and “TextElement.ToUpper” both didn’t work…

Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Thank you!!

Hi Jacqueline

@jwarner4 Try this dyn script TextToUpper.dyn (3.8 KB)


Archi-lab works just fine:

1 Like

Thank you for the quick replies!

I ran it and initially got an error says your script was made in but I clicked “proceed anyway”
When I ran it, it didn’t work and the yellow warning indicator said this:
Warning: IronPythonEvaluator.EvaluateIronPythonScript operation failed.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 4, in
IOError: System.IO.IOException: Could not add reference to assembly ProtoGeometry
at IronPython.Runtime.ClrModule.AddReference(CodeContext context, String name)
at IronPython.Runtime.ClrModule.AddReference(CodeContext context, Object reference)
at IronPython.Runtime.ClrModule.AddReference(CodeContext context, Object references)
at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.ActionCallInstruction2.Run(InterpretedFrame frame) at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.Interpreter.Run(InterpretedFrame frame) at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.LightLambda.Run4[T0,T1,T2,T3,TRet](T0 arg0, T1 arg1, T2 arg2, T3 arg3) at System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute3[T0,T1,T2,TRet](CallSite site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1, T2 arg2) at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.DynamicInstruction4.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.Interpreter.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
at Microsoft.Scripting.Interpreter.LightLambda.Run2[T0,T1,TRet](T0 arg0, T1 arg1)
at IronPython.Compiler.PythonScriptCode.RunWorker(CodeContext ctx)
at Microsoft.Scripting.Hosting.ScriptSource.Execute(ScriptScope scope)
at DSIronPython.IronPythonEvaluator.EvaluateIronPythonScript(String code, IList bindingNames, IList bindingValues)

I recreated what you posted (I misunderstood your earlier post). It didn’t work and I got a warning at the String.ToUpper node…
“Warning: String.ToUpper operation failed.”

Thank you!

can we see what was the output of All Elements of Category?

Sure! Is this what you mean?

FYI I’m just testing this on the out of the Box Simple Revit project.

yes, what version of Revit are you on?

This warning makes me believe that your dynamo install is corrupt. I would have uninstalled all dynamo versions and reinstalled the latest.


I’ve tested it in both 2015 and 2017

Thanks Einar! I’ll try that! I’m also on Windows 10 if that makes a difference…

It doesn’t but I agree with @Einar_Raknes that your Dynamo looks corrupt. Please uninstall the whole thing, delete all packages from the User folder and reinstall. I would also go with Dynamo 1.0.0 as that’s the latest for Archi-lab and many other packages that didn’t update to 1.1.0 yet.

1 Like

I uninstalled all versions of Dynamo (I had about 4). I tried installing 1.0.0 instead of 1.1.0 like Konrad mentioned, but it wouldn’t recognize it. I googled some stuff and I guess that’s a glitch with the core package not being able to uninstall. Anyway, I reinstalled 1.1.0 and it re ran all the scripts and they all worked! Thank y’all so much!!

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Changing Text Element to Uppercase

Guys, please redirect users to start a new thread for a new question.

@john_pierson great answer, but you get no credit here since the original question was already answered and we can’t grant two answers.

1 Like