Can Dynamo combine parameters from 2 different type tags to make separate tag plus have a live bi-direcitonal link with Excel?

Hello,

New to Dynamo and thanks in advance for any insight into combining a wall tag parameter with a material tag parameter to make 1 tag for both parameters.

I don’t know if it is possible to somehow get Dynamo to combine 2 tags into 1 tag that can be used on an elevation. I also want the tag information to be bi-directional with excel spreadsheets.

Please advise if I can extract and combine tag type parameters to make 1 new combined elevation tag that shows both parameters and if I can link with Excel?

Thanks!

1 Like

Dynamo can only do what Revit can do. Since Revit can’t have a tag be both a true material tag and a wall tag I’m fairly certain dynamo can’t either. It could place a material tag by the location of a wall tag, but not much time savings to be had there.

Only option I see is to push the finish info into the wall as an instance parameter for ‘inside finish’ and ‘outside finish’ but that is a very slippery slope.

Bi-directional data management with excel is doable, there are plenty of examples already on the forum. Give it a search, try something out, and let us know if you get stuck by posting the error and the graph you developed to that point.

1 Like

Will do!

Thank you for clarifying that this option
is not available at this time!

@jacob.small , @bluicat

Hi,
You can try this:
You can map the contents (values) of the material parameters to newly created (shared) parameters in the wall category . They have to be type based. Use the same shared parameters in your walltag.
Edit:
Bi-directional setting the materials can be done type based too, but you need a second .dyn for that.

Marcel

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks I will have to learn this program 1st, and it sounds like a possibility for wall tags.

Do you think that there is a way to map wall tag parameters to a material tag instead? if somehow the material tags could have formulas attached to them based
on how they are are sold and that could translate to a material tag in elevation - that would be a real time saver! I like to add material images into the material library with manufacture costs then render the scene, so to have all in the material tag would be the most efficient way to extract information with instant visual feedback concerning costs.

Thanks again for your response.

The material tag would only work if a material was only every applied to one wall type - material tags by default use type parameters. I think an instance based parameter might work (each wall could have a different instance for inside finish material and outside finish material) but I’ll defer to Marcel’s expertise in that. If it’s a requirement that they are type driven I’d shy away as it’s going to cause too many types in your model.

Run through the primer and do a simple exercise or two without a walkthrough first as this is a bigger undertaking.

I agree with @Marcel_Rijsmus

You can create a multiline tag family and have shared parameters that came from wall tag which dynamo can easily do for you.

Create some family tag and dynamo graph and if you get stuck the community will help you.

Awesome! I think I will try the multi-category tag family with a shared wall parameter - which would be (Area). Hopefully I will be able to check out soon once I finish current project.

Thanks this was helpful!