Camber Feedback Thread

Thanks alot @mzjensen for the updates will try to update to 2022 as soon as possible but since projectwise integration is not available for 2022 yet its delaying its roleout for project use in my organization. eager to use all your features and nodes as soon as i get my hands on 2022.

No doubt you are the best community member we have got for Civil 3D Dynamo forum and no words can justify the efforts you take to move this community forward. I can clearly say one thing here that each and every person know in this community that if there query can not be answered by anyone then they can approach you and you will come to the rescue (Batman). So thanks for all your efforts, wonderful work and for your patience with us. Many times we ask very basic or stupid doubts and you always reply them in best possible way ( without fear of getting in to a naughty list).

So keep on going - " We Give some and we get some thats the way to work in community" and you always give you best @mzjensen .

6 Likes

Thanks mate, that’s encouraging :slight_smile:
We’re all learning together.

@mzjensen Maybe I just missed it otherwise there would be really nice to have a drop down list to use with List.RemoveIfNot for all object types like in the example. Autodesk.AutoCAD.DynamoNodes.Text, Autodesk.AutoCAD.DynamoNodes.Circle, Autodesk.AutoCAD.DynamoNodes.Polyline … since Objet Types don’t work for all objects.

Hi @clas.kristiansen,

If I understand correctly, you’d like a dropdown node with the list of Camber object types? For example, it would have Label, Sample Line, MLeader, etc.

Hi @mzjensen!

Impressive work with the Camber Package, many thanks!

Question: is there a “get all layer names” for External documents as well? I only find the one with regards to a certain objects layer.

Hi @Sampa,

You’re welcome! Glad that you are finding it helpful.

No, not at the moment. But I can certainly add that to the to-do list for the next release! Here it is for tracking:

As a side note, I’m really interested to hear your feedback using the nodes under the “External” shelf (ExternalDocument, ExternalObject, etc.). You’re the only one I’ve heard from yet that has used them, so from my perspective you are the only user :sweat_smile:

Have they been working for you, and do you have any other ideas?

3 Likes

Oh ok cool! :slight_smile:

I just stumbled upon it today when I was exploring the possibility creating a “model check” script that could analyze a folder with models and check things like layers, units, no geometry on layer 0, no geometry outside a certain project boundary and so on so haven’t really tried it out yet! :wink:

On a quick note it only looked as if I could get the coordinate systems of Block References and not for other geometries like lines, circles etc.?

That’s kinda what I was envisioning with those nodes, so I’m glad to hear it!

Yes, I only built nodes for a few items just to get people thinking of how they might use it. So it certainly isn’t a finished list. Maybe you can try to put together a few scripts and we can add things to the to-do list that you might want?

Hi @mzjensen , I was thinking of an new “Object Types” that outputs useful Autodesk.AutoCAD.DynamoNodes instead of a simple object name. I like to use it with “Select Objects” and “List.RemoveIfNot” to filter my object selection. Also it would be nice to have a wider selection in the list e.g. Civil 3D objects. The example below does not work for all object types.

I think a ‘civil object types’ node would be valuable. Mixing core AutoCAD types and Civil object types may make some issues in the long term.

2 Likes

There is a node in the Civil 3D Toolkit that will add additional types to the dropdown. It’s called DocumentExtensions.AddNewTypes. You might give that a try if you haven’t already.

As you probably know, we’re in a bit of an awkward phase right now with Dynamo for Civil 3D because there are a lot of core object types that have not been implemented. Paolo has added several more object types with the Civil 3D Toolkit package, and then I added some more on top of that with Camber. So if you duct tape everything together, you get a somewhat complete list of objects to work with. Paolo put everything in the Civil 3D Toolkit under the Autodesk.AutoCAD.DynamoNodes and Autodesk.Civil.DynamoNodes namespaces, which is acceptable given his position. But all of the objects in Camber are under the Camber.AutoCAD and Camber.Civil namespaces because I really shouldn’t be adding stuff to any of the Autodesk namespaces since I don’t have authority to do that (see discussion here).

So…all of that is a long way of me saying that I’m trying to keep Camber standalone and separate as much as possible from the work that Autodesk is doing (either through Paolo or the Civil 3D dev team). As such, I’m going to steer clear of adding any nodes to Camber that would do something similar to DocumentExtensions.AddNewTypes by adding Camber object types to that dropdown.

I agree that there are probably some improvements that could be made to filtering a selection set of objects, but I personally don’t think it is too much hassle to either use the All Objects of Type node or take a filtering approach using List.FilterByBoolMask or List.RemoveIfNot.

4 Likes

Hi @mzjensen, Do you have any nodes to Create Pressure Pipes with Pipe Runs from Object and Add Pressure Pipe Run from Object?

Pressure2

1 Like

Not at the moment. When I originally looked I thought it wasn’t available in the API, but I think I just found it. I’ll work on adding that to the next release.

4 Likes

Lol, “not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need.”

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Quick update on the issues that some folks have been having when trying to install Camber v2.0.0.

Unfortunately putting together a fix for this is beyond the amount of time that I have to devote to this project. It would require a significant rebuild of the data shortcuts portion of Camber in order to accommodate all versions of Civil 3D. As I can currently only devote nights and weekends to improving Camber, I would prefer to spend that valuable time on fixing minor bugs and implementing new features. The solution to the above problem is to install one of the following versions of Civil 3D:

2020.6 or 2020.6.1
2022.1 or newer.

I’ve updated the release notes on GitHub with a more detailed explanation (scroll to the bottom).

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience!

7 Likes

Having trouble understanding which nodes to use with PipeNetwork.FindShortestNetworkPath.

Perhaps I’m missing the intended use. I presume I could select two parts as inputs, then have a list of pipes and structures from which to manipulate downstream of this node.

The error states I should be using ‘Camber…Parts.Part’ nodes for my Start/End inputs, but I can’t seem to work out which nodes output ‘Part’ that could work with this node.

Searching for ‘Part’ didn’t reveal too much either. As usual, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @JPhil,

In this case, the best way would be to use a Convert to Camber Object node after the Select Object nodes.

Structures and Pipes are both under the category of “Part”, so you can plug in any Pipe and/or Structure in the same network and it should work.

Also, I am going to remove the ‘pipeNetwork’ input from this node in the next version. It was left in by accident and is unnecessary.

1 Like

Sweet!

Follow up question, what is the intent behind dropping the last part from the output Part List?

It’s easy enough to manipulate the lists to add it if I need it–see below for reference. Just curious.

As always, thanks for the help!

The reasoning here is so that the parts output agrees with the path length. The path length is always calculated between the start point or “beginning” of each part. That doesn’t really make intuitive sense for structures, but it comes into play with pipes. Take this example:

What would you say is the shortest network distance from MH1 to MH2? I think we’d all agree that it is 50 feet. What about the shortest network distance from P1 to P2? I would again say that it is 50 feet, but that depends on where you begin and end the measurement. And for one more example, what about the distance from MH1 to P1? My guess is that most users would probably expect the path length to be 0 in this case and not include the length of P1. By not including the last part, the ambiguity is removed and the validity of the name “shortest network path” is held true in all instances. So I decided to leave it up to the user to append the last part if they want to.

3 Likes