Calculate section volumes of a tank in dynamo from autocad model

Hi! I am trying to write script in dynamo that will calculate the volume of a section of a tank by 10 cm. I made model in civil 3d that I saved as dwg file and imported it to revit. I also started a code in dynamo, but found some difficulties when reading a “Categories” node - apparently imported dwg file doesn’t suit any of the categories. Can somebody please help me? :slight_smile:

I started my dynamo code with nodes > Categoies>All Elemets of Category>Element.Geometry>Solid.Volume but don’t know how to “slice” the tank

If you’re still having trouble getting the import element/geometry then I’d just start with a Select Model Element node so you can focus on the rest of the graph. If I remember correctly, LinkInstances are in the Element Types node, not Categories.

Once you have the geometry you can get a BoundingBox of the element (or a specific piece of geometry) and use that as the primary “scope” of your geometry analysis. There are many ways to go about creating “slice planes” for cutting geometry but one option would be to start with the bottom face of the BoundingBox’s cuboid and offset it by 10cm to for the full height of the tank/BoundingBox.

If you can find a recursive splitting node that would make things easier (there are propbably a few options but Springs has one for sure). Otherwise, you’ll have to set your graph up to handle multiple iterations of slicing the original object. This will be a bit of extra work but it’s still pretty doable.

2 Likes

I am not sure what this process entails if you were to do it manually, but you might want to look into VASA as a possible solution.

You may also want to work directly with the DWG via Dynamo for Civil 3D instead of importing to Revit, as the data structure is maintained and not passed though a conversion first.

3 Likes

Hello,
here it is with pictures (late as usual)
but the principal is given by M. Nick Happy Anniversary M. Jacob :wink:

cordially
christian.stan

2 Likes

thank you all! :slight_smile: have a great day

1 Like