Need some tips - model checking

Hi,

i want to analyse our models automaticly with Dynamo. Would you recommend to import (convert) the geometry first into Dynamo enviroment to determine the volume of the solids for example or is it better to make this with the revit geometry? Our models have about 10.000 elements so it would take some time to convert them.

Another question is if you recommend to do all the analyse in nested list or should i try to hold my lists flat?

Hi,

Just a hint here, you should look at the BOQ thats comming from your model and the warnings aswell, are walls all in square meters/feet are they overlapping? Or are there generic models representing walls? And so on. The integrigity of the data should tell you.

Marcel

This is an extremely broad and vague question. Please be more specific, post some images and examples of work that you are doing. I know that @Marcel_Rijsmus has answered it, but he’s making some far fetched assumptions about the meaning of your question here. I, for example, have no clue what you are trying to do with your model. Please edit your question, be clear and concise or it will get closed.

Sorry for my imprecised question, so i try to ask a little bit clearer.

My division builds structural models with the main goal to get BoQ.
To identify the parts in the calculation tool (iTWO) we use a text parameter (Matchkey) in Revit so iTWO is able to see if it is a concrete wall or masonry for example.
What i want to do now is to make a preliminary check of the model with specific values. For example i need all the volume of all concrete walls in the hole project and their formwork to determine the average wall thickness. After this these specific values should be documented in a Excel data sheet.

To solve this i catch the model elements with the ‘All Elements of Category’ Node and analyse them directly without convertig them into Dynamo solids. My main question is if i should convert the elements in to Dynamo solids first before analysing?

I don’t think so. You can get wall volume but analyzing its properties which will always be faster than analyzing its geometry. Look at walls properties like, length of its base curve, thickness of its layers, and height. Multiply all these ans its your volume. That’s always more efficient than looking at wall’s geometry.

Cheers!

Ok and how should i handle the mass of properties. Is it advisable to try to reduce the number of nodes and nesting all the information in complicated lists? Or is it a better workaround to dublicate node-chains, edit a parameter to get the different properties and write them into Excel?

Thanks for your help!